Can Am racing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: Can Am racing

Post by David Redszus »

For those of you who missed it, this last weekend saw the Brian Redmond Vintage race at Road America.
The event featured CanAm cars as well as TransAm cars. It was possible to closely inspect the cars and speak to
their owners (not usually the original owner) and often to the mechanics and engine builders.

One poster came to mind:

CanAm, when excess was barely adequate.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I for one loved it! It was "RUN WHAT YA BRUNG!" racing!! We need more that type of excitement and results in many forms of today's sometimes boring racing events! JMHO =D>
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Newold1 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:22 pm I for one loved it! It was "RUN WHAT YA BRUNG!" racing!! We need more that type of excitement and results in many forms of today's sometimes boring racing events! JMHO =D>
Vintage has lots of rules :-$

410ci Sprint Cars are lighter and hundreds of horsepower more powerful than the V8 Can-Am cars from the day.
-Bob
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Well, you'd sort of expect some advancement from almost 50 years more development. What were TF cars making in 1970? 2,000 HP vs. 11,000 today?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:36 pm
Newold1 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:22 pm I for one loved it! It was "RUN WHAT YA BRUNG!" racing!! We need more that type of excitement and results in many forms of today's sometimes boring racing events! JMHO =D>

410ci Sprint Cars are lighter and hundreds of horsepower more powerful than the V8 Can-Am cars from the day.
I find it unlikely that any Sprint car will stress an engine as much as a CanAm car did. Dyno horsepower does not
really matter; it's the power you can put to the ground that counts. The gearing is different as is the traction and
aero drag.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

David Redszus wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:16 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:36 pm

I find it unlikely that any Sprint car will stress an engine as much as a CanAm car did. Dyno horsepower does not
really matter; it's the power you can put to the ground that counts. The gearing is different as is the traction and
aero drag.
A winged spring car produces much more downforce than a Can Am car will ever, and I disagree with loading the engine big time. Not even close.

I’m a fan of both, but not having been there in the day, I don’t look through the eyes of nostalgia.

My point was that you can see a car that is way more wild and faster run at dirt tracks across the country. That kind of racing is not “dead”.
-Bob
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

I love ‘em All!
Personally I really enjoy ISMA SuperMods!!
6529E2A5-642F-4E4E-A6DA-D4F584741067.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LIGHT 'EM UP
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

IMSA wings are spring loaded and raise up in the turns for more downforce and lay flat on the straights for less wind resistance.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Obviously there are still a few good forms of Non -Boring exciting racing and sprints on dirt are definitely one form. The sad situation for the future seems to be that all forms are getting squeezed and threatened most everywhere today and a lot of the "WOW " factor is slipping away!

I am turning into a "Revivalist" Let's get some of it back, it's great social therapy in a world gone a little crazy! :wink: JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Its been years since I last watched "World of Outlaws" sprint cars at Canandaigua. As a dedicated drag racer I can say that my adrenalin was maxed out watching guys like Sammy Swindell fly around that dirt track putting on a show second to none. I still can picture Sammy coming out of the fourth turn, getting spun around 360 degrees, back into it, lifting the wheels down the straight and going into the first turn, not losing one spot in the field. One of the wildest shows I ever saw and I am pretty sure WoO is still running all across the country.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

Sure do they Run in Volusia Speedway right before the
Daytona 500 and it’s a hell of a show!!
LIGHT 'EM UP