Daytona Sensors LS Ignition Control LS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Daytona Sensors LS Ignition Control LS

Post by CGT »

Anyone have any experience with this unit for a carbed LS, would you use this over the MSD unit?
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Daytona Sensors LS Ignition Control LS

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Quite a few people at the LS forums have and do use the Daytona box. So they'll have multiple comparison threads posted. May want to search there. You'll likely get a better sampling of users and opinions.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
406shark

Post by 406shark »

I really like my Daytona Sensors box, but it's not the LS version so I can't help with that specific version.

I can tell you that if you ever need customer service for questions they put MSD to shame.

Jeff
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

406shark wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:21 am I really like my Daytona Sensors box, but it's not the LS version so I can't help with that specific version.

I can tell you that if you ever need customer service for questions they put MSD to shame.

Jeff
Funny you say that. I called Daytona this week....the guy knew almost zero about their product. He finally admitted that he was trying to fill in for the guy that does know while he was on vacation. Ill call back this week and talk to the other guy.
406shark

Post by 406shark »

CGT wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:27 am
406shark wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:21 am I really like my Daytona Sensors box, but it's not the LS version so I can't help with that specific version.

Jeff
Funny you say that. I called Daytona this week....the guy knew almost zero about their product. He finally admitted that he was trying to fill in for the guy that does know while he was on vacation. Ill call back this week and talk to the other guy.

Sorry to hear that. At least he admitted he didn't know what he was talking about instead of giving you bad information. I'm sure you'll be happy once you talk to the guy I've talked to.

Jeff
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

rumors here are the MSD box frequently either:
- dies
- burns down your car

I have a new in box 6010 for gen III stuff. I'm afraid to use it
too lazy to make power w/o boost
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

A_VAS wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:50 pm rumors here are the MSD box frequently either:
- dies
- burns down your car

I have a new in box 6010 for gen III stuff. I'm afraid to use it
I've heard the 6010's issues have been solved with the 6014. But, the Daytona unit is made in Florida, and I didn't need a translator to order it. So I decided to go with it. Hopefully I don't regret it. The cranking speed thing I've heard of with the MSD was an issue to me as well.
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

I remember Chis Schroeder designed Crane ignitions. We spoke on the phone once about ignition design, in 1998 or so.

Is he the same guy that was murdered by his son in 2015?

"In 2014, Chris Schroeder, co-owner of a Daytona Beach company that manufactures electronic fuel injections and ignition systems for Harley-Davidson motorcycles, obtained an injunction for protection against his son for domestic violence, court records show."

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/ ... der-victim
Thinking is hard work.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I never ran the Crane stuff, but it seems it is well regarded by those that did....and do. Sounds like maybe I made the right decision. Late model MSD doesn't seem to be of the same quality as it was in the past.

The Daytona control does way more than is necessary for what I am doing with it....just need reliable ignition, hopefully it has decent resale.