Stock class heads. No porting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blykins
Guru
Guru

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by blykins »

I checked back through my notebook. I had written down 98 @ .100", but I agree, that's about 20 cfm higher than what it should be. This was a build that I had on my Cleveland forum and I just cut and pasted the numbers over a little while ago.

Don't have an answer for you, but the rest of the numbers are not illogical and fall in line with some other Cleveland 4V stuff that I've done.
Last edited by blykins on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

315@.800 vs 348@.800 ......... thats one heck of a valve job!!
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

blykins wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:40 pm I checked back through my notebook. I had written down 98 @ .100", but I agree, that's about 20 cfm higher than what it should be. This was a build that I had on my Cleveland forum and I just cut and pasted the numbers over a little while ago.

Don't have an answer for you, but the rest of the numbers are not illogical and fall in line with some other Cleveland 4V stuff that I've done.
If it is hand written, I would conclude that the 9 must really be a 7.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Yes sir, hand written. Stuff happens....
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

PRH wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:53 pm 315@.800 vs 348@.800 ......... thats one heck of a valve job!!
Little more tha valve job but close. We duplicated his work on a set of doae i had already ported. Nearly identical numbers but at .600 we had .368 700was 356and .800 was 344.5. Exh was all the same.
elwood

Post by elwood »

Headguy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:51 pm
blykins wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:19 pm Last set that I played with:

.100 98 66
.200 147 103
.300 205 138
.400 260 160
.500 295 174
.600 300 181
.700 312 188
.800 315 188

No port work. Exhaust was flowed without a pipe. Now, there is a caveat. The heads were flowed on a 4.155" bore plate because I was too lazy to swap them out.

As they were, unmolested, one head was 65cc and the other head was 63cc. Cut .040" off of one and .030" off the other to get to 58cc.

That's a 50° seat on the intake side, with Ferrea 2.190/1.710 11/32 valves.
Nice number at .100 normally we plug the spark plug hole when flow testing.
new world record numbers here =D> i give it a 5 :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o Stan you might want to add these to your sheet #-o "too lazy" to actually do the job right and then offer the "data" for comparison, comparison to what ? (steaming pile) here's a link in case you're still to lazy, pick some numbers that someone might believe http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I would like to see a flow test with a Manifold bolted up as the velocity numbers need to come up a bunch, but I don't know that adding a Intake will buy you enough?
Here's a 2bbl head Cl head ported to 290 / 221 @28", now this would rip thru the gears if such was allowed!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Very nice mag2555. With the slightly raised position you can see how well the 2v exh responds. Those are very nice heads. What do you use for pistons. There is always the story of detonation with the oc head. I have never had a issue.We have done alot of r&d on the small valve 4v oc head. It out flows the rest by good margin. It seems ford was combining some of the 2v and 4v technology before things went sideways. We did a oc 9.5 compression motor not long ago and the owner wouldn't spin past 6000. Made just a touch under 500. Surprised the heck out of me.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_2786.PNG
Here is a non touched oc small valve as cast by ford. I have full sheet somewhere that was still on phone from flow bench owner.He refers to it as 2v but he actually is referring to valve size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Thanks much!
Yes it's always nice when you can pick up 85 cfm over stock on a customers factory iron head!
I only did the heads on the motor, the customers brother who builds motorcycle motors did his short block and I think they had JE do up Pistons for a 9.5 compression.
They had the Crank offset ground .020"and bored the motor .030".
I did however go up to custom valves, 2.10" and 1.70".
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Must be 377 stroker build by sounds of it.
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Alan Roehrich wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am It is amazing, or maybe disgusting is a better word, what will actually pass tech in NHRA Stock Eliminator these days. Half the time, you can't get a tech guy to actually tell you what is or is not legal, outside of exotic materials in valves, springs or retainers, and welding or epoxy. An honest, old school cylinder head guy and/or racer is going to struggle. I've seen heads that were so altered that the valves no longer aligned with the valve reliefs in legal pistons.
Interesting you say that.......If the valve weights on that sheet are true, they are small-stem Ti. No doubt about it.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

mag2555 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:28 am I would like to see a flow test with a Manifold bolted up as the velocity numbers need to come up a bunch, but I don't know that adding a Intake will buy you enough?
Bolting a manifold on will bring the velocity numbers up? How does that work?
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

RW TECH wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:26 pm
Alan Roehrich wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am It is amazing, or maybe disgusting is a better word, what will actually pass tech in NHRA Stock Eliminator these days. Half the time, you can't get a tech guy to actually tell you what is or is not legal, outside of exotic materials in valves, springs or retainers, and welding or epoxy. An honest, old school cylinder head guy and/or racer is going to struggle. I've seen heads that were so altered that the valves no longer aligned with the valve reliefs in legal pistons.
Interesting you say that.......If the valve weights on that sheet are true, they are small-stem Ti. No doubt about it.
The valves on my sheet are ferrea stainless intakes and manley exh stainless.
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Steve.k wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:58 pm The valves on my sheet are ferrea stainless intakes and manley exh stainless.
The weights are recorded incorrectly on the sheet then.