General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

LT4 vette pistons

Post by ProPower engines »

Hey guys
I have a stove in here from a 2016 vette with supercharger that has been added and tuned to what I believe is too much static comp. which is evident from the broken rings and lands on the OE pistons.

Who is currently up on producing the best quality forged pistons to drop the squeeze some to allow for better cyl. filling and better HP but to withstand the day to day spirited driving of a new corvette owner.

This suffered damage as the GM techs did not heed the warning of the GM bulletin regarding fuel injector failure issues and not to drive and beat on the engine when it had a bad cyl.

From what I am seeing they all have this issue with the SC engine even with the best/safest tune as it seems the spring breaks over fueling a cyl. and engine damages result.
There seems to be limited shelf stuff available but I am considering a custom at this point as this is a deal request to repair the issue which they have seen many of.

Other then the usual high end piston manufactures I am really asking those that have seen good quality for this engine
and application. It is about 600HP at max boost from the sheets I was given by the tuner and told at the crank.
A texas company supplied the engine but have no name as of yet as the dealer would not reveal where it came from only the state.

Any suggestions on who is currently making the top brand for this application will be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
jred
Expert
Expert

Re: LT4 vette pistons

Post by jred »

texas racing in texas
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

They suggested using a specific Wiseco shelf part that is available in +.005 and +.010 oversize.
But the rods are also an issue with the piston upgrade in the pin area so they will be replaced with some K1 pieces.
There's a truck load of parts on the way now. Man they are not cheap either but ya gotta pay if ya want to play :lol:
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Check the pistons for clearance on the oil squirter before you get excited,i did an lsa surpercharged deal and the srp pistons supplied for the engine hit the sqiurters. Totally different from the stock piston underside in construction.....usual answer from the parts supplier. Thats what everybody uses....had to bend squirters to make it all work !!!
Why they dont make them right for the application and charge accordingly for a drop in forged piston is beyond me. Different head stud kit and timing kit to a std ls deal aswell......nearly got caught on that when quoting the engine.
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

Diamond makes the best direct inject piston I've seen so far, as a stocked item. typically you have to do a rod change to use the shelf pistons.
have used both Wiseco and Diamond...I liked the Diamond better for a performance item.
too lazy to make power w/o boost