LGM shaft rockers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
LGM shaft rockers

Post by Frankshaft »

Anyone use these? I never have. Always T&D, Jesel. Recently got a set of WW engineering shaft rockers, and they seem really nice too. The reason I am considering LGM is time. I need a set sooner than later, and the set of LGM's I want appear to be available. Jesel or T&D are 3 weeks out. The price difference is attractive too. Like about 60% less. This isn't a crazy combo, .700 ish lift roller cam, sbc, 650 ish on open side.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: LGM shaft rockers

Post by cgarb »

I have 2 seasons on a set of my Profiler SBC heads with no major issues. Shelton is a great guy to deal with. I did have a bearing start to work it's way out of the body and the rocker was tight on the shaft...because it didn't have the correct account of side clearance because of the bearing working out. Emailed Shelton about it...he put a new bearing in the mail and told me to put some retaining compound on the od before I pressed the new one in...free of charge. Can't beat that for service.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:00 pm Anyone use these? I never have. Always T&D, Jesel. Recently got a set of WW engineering shaft rockers, and they seem really nice too. The reason I am considering LGM is time. I need a set sooner than later, and the set of LGM's I want appear to be available. Jesel or T&D are 3 weeks out. The price difference is attractive too. Like about 60% less. This isn't a crazy combo, .700 ish lift roller cam, sbc, 650 ish on open side.
Yes, I have. After 3 seasons the lash stayed the same, about 150 - 200 passes a season in a 7500rpm bracket engine.

The few sets I used seamed like a compromise to get the sweep right.

The last set my customer set up and he had the same problem with the sweep, ended up compromising. But for the money a good rocker. I liked the yella Terra better than the LGM or Probe. But my heart is still with TD, problem is they are always 4 weeks out.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

I had a set of Probes and after a year or so of street/strip use I found the shafts were starting to wear and gall in places.
Since Probe had at that time sold the rocker business to Sheldon I called them.

Well he told me to send them in and they replaced all the shafts and rebuilt the rockers with stronger grade bearings and
free of charge! Still running them today on another engine!
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

427dart wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:59 pm I had a set of Probes and after a year or so of street/strip use I found the shafts were starting to wear and gall in places.

Well he told me to send them in and they replaced all the shafts and rebuilt the rockers with stronger grade bearings and
It wasn't free. He charged me for it..... :lol: :lol:
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:31 pm
427dart wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:59 pm I had a set of Probes and after a year or so of street/strip use I found the shafts were starting to wear and gall in places.

It wasn't free. He charged me for it..... :lol: :lol:
Thanks! :D
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Fantastic product. The quality of the product is only exceeded by the quality of the customer service. Unlike the Sportsman series Jesels, Shelton's rockers have an orifice that sprays the roller tip & they include all ARP hardware. I put a set in a SBC 406 I did for a rock crawler buggy 3 or 4 years ago & they are still like new. Cam is a solid roller .682" gross lift springs around 260 seat 615 open iirc.
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

I have a set of Probes from 2010 still in use, 3k+ street miles and 30+ passes at the track, .750" lift SR in 434, 1.5 ratio. 2 Sets of LGM, 1.7 ratio, one .680" HR street engine and another 427 SR with .800" lift. Pretty happy with them and no issues.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Only thing I don't like so far, is hard to get a hold of. I like talking to a person. Not email
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Frankshaft wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:37 pm Only thing I don't like so far, is hard to get a hold of. I like talking to a person. Not email
Once you do get a hold of him be prepared for a long conversation. He is very thorough. I haven't talked to him in years but I know he had some family health issues he was dealing with at that time, I hope everything is well with him now.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

turdwilly wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 am Fantastic product. The quality of the product is only exceeded by the quality of the customer service. Unlike the Sportsman series Jesels, Shelton's rockers have an orifice that sprays the roller tip & they include all ARP hardware. I put a set in a SBC 406 I did for a rock crawler buggy 3 or 4 years ago & they are still like new. Cam is a solid roller .682" gross lift springs around 260 seat 615 open iirc.
X2. I worked with shelton to make a custom stand for a set of rhs sbc castings ported by speier. Worked great and fit a 3/8 pushrod well
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Well, after numerous attemps, emails, etc, with only 1 reply from them, and then nothing, I found something else. I ordered a set of Scorpion Endurance series shaft rockers for it. .200 offset, 1.6/1.5. They should be here in a week. I will let you all know how they work out. They say will clear 1.65 springs, and good for 850 spring pressure. I have had numerous issues with T&D's not clearing even 1.55 springs. I am hoping to just bolt on and go. I like Scorpion stud mount rockers, so I am hoping these are good too. They were $1002.00, Lgm"s were $985, the T&D's were $1495, and the Jesel sportsman were $1295, Pro series about $1600, just for reference.
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

Good luck on them clearing a 1.65” spring. A longer valve or tip length would help with clearing the 1.55” on t&d and jesels. Short valves, + installed height retainers and or locks will make it hard to clear.
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Those appear to be a nice piece hope they work well for you.
bullheaded

Post by bullheaded »

Not to hijack the thread or completely change the subject but.... why are you using such a big diameter spring?
The more I know,the harder it gets.