Making a 400 stock SBC live.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Making a 400 stock SBC live.

Post by pdq67 »

I have posted before about installing a top 1/4" plate across the banks as well as making a main girdle that would tie into the top plate using long bolts to tie them together. Then install sleeves.

BUT just what will make a 400 SBC block live if I boost it to like 75 psi!!

pdqw67
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Making a 400 stock SBC live.

Post by SupStk »

Might work. How thick is your wallet? How good is your prayer life?

Assuming you are talking about a stock GM block? Is there a reason you don't want to use a block that realistically might stand a chance at living?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

unless your time and machine work is free you can buy a dart little m block for only a little more then what it will cost in time and effort to try and band aid a stock block to try and make it work,,, think about it you spend money for a half decent crank and rods and try to fix a stock block for that kind of boost.. the block is your foundation...
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

pdq67 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:04 pm I have posted before about installing a top 1/4" plate across the banks as well as making a main girdle that would tie into the top plate using long bolts to tie them together. Then install sleeves.

BUT just what will make a 400 SBC block live if I boost it to like 75 psi!!

pdqw67
All it would take is a cylinder head with .25 inch intake valves and similar cross section area.

But in reality, don't waste your time or money.

Sure you could make a new deck, put 8 sleeves in it, but then you still have the crappy lower end and block material. No girdle is going to fix the detonation from 250 + degree air temps
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Its not the mains. Its the cylinders. They are thin, and really close to the bolt holes. They crack, and migrate into the cylinder, and the cylinder splits, hydro lock, and boom. That's the problem with 400 blocks.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Pdq

I dont understand your fascination with the lowly mostly stock sbc engine.

A cg aftermarket block is what you would actually want
Just spend the money on that part, you can have some ring seal with the 4.125 bore, raised cam, larger cam journals (whats funny is that the "big" 55mm journals are about the same as a stock sbf, and the raised cam puts it around ford height) that stuff lets you run a real camshaft.

Maybe an ls iorn block can do it.....
Then theres the advantage of ditching the assinine nonsensical pinch port BS making it look like a ........ Sbf......

Heres a real stock block/crank/cylinder head casting monster.
https://youtu.be/DnCsQPpY6xA
2300+hp
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Also just what is girdle gonna do?
Nothing?
Yes thats exactly what it will do....
What would do something is a bedplate.
And that would be a TON of work and probably cost more than an aftermarket block to make.
governor
Expert
Expert

Post by governor »

I have seen 3 400 OE block break in the cam tunnel area, Not sure the effort is worth the investment in time and resources.

Gov
a passion for racing
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Why don't you just run straight Nitro and kill the motor in one dyno run or pass instead of 2 or 3 with 75 psi ( if the head gaskets even hold passed 60 psi) of boost, in this way you will have more time to build the motor with the parts it should have been built with in the first place, lol!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

Stupid. Buy an aftermarket block
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

75 psi??!!

That sounds like a really expensive proposition to me. I bet the explosion would be pretty spectacular though!
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Just get a good block, figure a very mild 400 should make 400hp, at 14.7psi you will be close to 800hp and 29 is going to be close to 1200hp...
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I am never quite sure "where" pdq67's thoughts , ideas or questions come from?? I will not spend my time answering his crazy thoughts! I think he is just pushing buttons! I'm gone!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

is this going to be 75psi at 9000rpm?
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

I have always thought it was a well known fact that a 400 production block will fail at 73 P.S.I. 😳