Will this make 500 hp ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: Will this make 500 hp ?

Post by Truckedup »

Just wondering....As a street engine ,what is the drivability in normal situation?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

Probably not, narrow the lsa and a victor jr. and it will make 500.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

In-Tech wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:51 pm x2, It will amaze you how cheaply and horrible things can go wrong with out of the box stuff. I have checked many many OOTB heads and probably 60% would live a little while and others shouldn't even be used on a flathead. :mrgreen:
fdicrasto wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:38 pm I think you have a good combination that can make an honest 500 hp. I would caution you on "out of the box" cylinder heads however. They need to be pulled apart and all the valve work checked and touched up and of course use the valve springs designed for your camshaft. Some of the mail order heads have garbage hardware and shoddy assembly problems. Seen it several times in the past.
What can your average home builder who doesn't have access to a Serdi or Sioux do to correct shoddy seat work?
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

RevTheory wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:17 am
In-Tech wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:51 pm x2, It will amaze you how cheaply and horrible things can go wrong with out of the box stuff. I have checked many many OOTB heads and probably 60% would live a little while and others shouldn't even be used on a flathead. :mrgreen:
fdicrasto wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:38 pm I think you have a good combination that can make an honest 500 hp. I would caution you on "out of the box" cylinder heads however. They need to be pulled apart and all the valve work checked and touched up and of course use the valve springs designed for your camshaft. Some of the mail order heads have garbage hardware and shoddy assembly problems. Seen it several times in the past.
What can your average home builder who doesn't have access to a Serdi or Sioux do to correct shoddy seat work?
Take them to a reputable shop for a check over!
Pay now.....or maybe pay even more later!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

PRH wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:10 pm
CGT wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 pm I think the etech heads are modeled after the fastburn-vortec stuff. I think it could make 500 myself.
The E-210’s are not the same as the E-tec heads.
The E-210's are pretty good heads.
I downsized the intake valve to 2.055", (for use on a 4" bore block), and using a 50 degree seat, got almost 290 feet.

I think this could get near or past 500 horsepower, if it is in good tune; with a better carb.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Just looked at those heads. Don't know much about them, but I would think 500hp at 400ci would be a walk in the park...
Hell, was making 500hp at 358ci, with unported, iron phase 2 bowtie heads, flat tappet cam and an out of the box 650dp carb back in the late 80s.
As others have said, the intake and carb might hold you back a bit but.........?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Install it in your Malibu and drag test it before you deliver the motor. Now you know it's real power.
You're not going to learn anything by gauging this built based on internet opinion.

I don't see 500 HP there in that form.

If it runs 117 mph (1/4 mi) in a #3500 car, it is making 500 HP. There is your yardstick.

A radar gun costs $100.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I haven't had the luxury of looking at these particular heads. EVERY Edelbrock head I have seen has a stupid big bowl area. If these are similar, you will have no problem making your hp goal but at the risk of horrible part throttle driveability with fuel puddling. Just sayin, high speed pinch and low speed after is a bad head.

That combo should make about 540hp.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Warp Speed wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:47 am
Take them to a reputable shop for a check over!
Pay now.....or maybe pay even more later!

Warp, I know you know what you do.

The biggest lie ever told is "You get what you pay for" The only way you KNOW is if you KNOW what you are paying for and get what you paid for. The difference in assemblers and "one in the know" can be astounding. Study study study, if you care.

Comment not intended towards anyone, just food for thought.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

I think it may make 500.

BTW- I've never received a set of heads from the Bs, WPs, Es or Ds that did not need seat work / valve job.
I wouldn't dare run OOB heads on anything I cared about.

In 2003, I ordered a set of T1s that had to have the seats moved- they were that far off.

It appears that in many cases, one doesn't get what you pay for, unless one pays again. :mrgreen:
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

Isn´t the runner area in the Performer RPM intake much smaller than the runner area in the 200cc heads?

Erland
Jim2527

Post by Jim2527 »

RevTheory wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:17 am What can your average home builder who doesn't have access to a Serdi or Sioux do to correct shoddy seat work?
Nothing. But with $100 worth of tools (in addition to normal home mechanic tools) I can....

1. dis-assemble heads
2. lap valves and check for proper concentricity/seating
3. check guides
4. hone guides if needed
5. check installed spring height
6. remove casting flashing
7. check torque of rocker studs
8. probably a few other things I'm missing
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

Sort of, #2. Lapping valves in is great but it wont really tell you how concentric the seat is. If you have .002” guide clearance and the seat is .0015” out of round it will still lap in ok. Seat concentricity guage needed to really know. #3 and #4 to accurately measure the guides you need the sunnen fixture. ($2000). And a sunnen hone all to properly hone guides within .0002” from top to bottom. ($750)
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Ok guys thanks for the input. In my experience i've taken dozens of sets of Edelbrock and AFR heads out of the box and put them on a motor and i've yet to have a failure. Were they as good as the could be ? Who knows, maybe not. I pulled a dart SHP SBC head out of the box and found one rocker stud was simply missing. I'm not a big builder so i don't have the experience many others do. I generally build one or two engines a year not including my own stuff. I'm not a machine shop either. More like a general contractor. This motor should be running tomorrow night shortly after the pushrods show up.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Just to clarify; outright failures are very uncommon but giving away gobs of horsepower because of crappy prep and mismatch of proper hardware is the issue. Anybody can throw together an engine and make it run but making a much better piece using the same basic components can be as simple as personally checking to make sure you weren't handed poorly prepped parts. Cylinder heads are where you can gain or lose the most in any performance application IMO.