filled bbc on the street?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gnicholson
Pro
Pro

filled bbc on the street?

Post by gnicholson »

i have a 78 bbc thats filled to the bottom of the freeze plugs. its been decked align honed lifter bores bushed and its .100 over. my question is can i use this for a street build without having overly high oil temps due to the filled block? ive heard guys wiping out cam bearings due to the high oil temperatures.
user-17438

Re: filled bbc on the street?

Post by user-17438 »

gnicholson wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:08 pm i have a 78 bbc thats filled to the bottom of the freeze plugs. its been decked align honed lifter bores bushed and its .100 over. my question is can i use this for a street build without having overly high oil temps due to the filled block? ive heard guys wiping out cam bearings due to the high oil temperatures.
I have blocks filled to the water pump.. Run a cooler and you will be fine.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

what happens if you dont run a cooler? :shock:
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

gnicholson wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:17 pm what happens if you dont run a cooler? :shock:
The owner tries installing a 3 core 10 gallon radiator.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

lol i know filling the block insulates the water from the oil and results in lower water temps but higher oil temps. i guess the only way to really know is to put an oil temp guage on it and see what happens then add a cooler if nec. keep clearances tight. to me adding oil coolers and external filters are a way to induce oiling problems. probably a good idea to add some pump volume with a cooler as well. i allready have this block and its a good piece with good machine work is why im thinking about using it. just thought it would be a good idea to get some opinions of people with more experience than i have with a lot of street miles
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

gnicholson wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:06 pm i guess the only way to really know is to put an oil temp guage on it and see what happens then add a cooler if nec.
Yup. You already know what to do.
gnicholson wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:06 pm adding oil coolers and external filters are a way to induce oiling problems.
Yeah...sort of. But you probably won't have a choice. Build the oil cooling system properly, eliminate as many problems as possible to begin with.
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

You know it is not going to work. Filled plus being a .100 over is never gonna work on the street. Don't waste a good block on the street.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

Add a spacer behind the oil pump spring to bump the pressure up, then plumb a Canton external oil pressure regulator to the pressure port over the oil filter. Run the bypassed oil through the cooler, back to a bulkhead fitting near the bottom of the oil pan; it needs to be below running oil level to prevent entraining air.

The same basic setup worked well on a filled Ford FE, anyway.
prostreetL-78
Pro
Pro

Post by prostreetL-78 »

I ruined a perfectly good street 496 by doing a short fill and honing it another .010. Went from 170-180 degree temps to 210+. I added an oil cooler and it didn't help much and I started seeing bearing wear. Now I have a Dart block 555.
Galatians 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Run a big cooler and can you use e85 fuel? Every e85 car i know tends to run cooler than gas
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

filling the block actually lowers coolant temps and raises oil temps due to the insulating properties of the filler. just looking for people that have tried it and know how much higher the oil temps were. im trying not to spend thousands of dollars only to discover this was a bad idea. shurkeys probably right. the only way to know is to do it.thanks guys
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I've built literally dozens of filled engines that see street duty - most have quite a tall fill - up to 2" from deck face.
Zero problems if an oil cooler is used & the coolant capacity lost to the fill replaced with larger end tank on the radiator (or a bigger radiator).
Plenty have nothing more than a 'towing' radiator.
Summer temps here regularly go past 100 deg F, not a problem.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

I don't know my oil temps, but I have been running a half-filled block (FE Ford) on the street for years with a factory big block 3 core copper radiator and an auxiliary oil cooler. No issues. I do use Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic oil because I figure the oil is hotter. So the higher weight and synthetic makeup ought to help. This is in Kansas and it regularly gets over 100F in the summer here.

JMO,

paulie
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

im in kck right with ya plovette