Replace oil cooler and lines after blow up

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Replace oil cooler and lines after blow up

Post by Truckedup »

You guys with race cars that use oil coolers...Do you replace the oil cooler radiator and lines after an engine failure? Or do you try to clean it...? Just wondering...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
billet
Pro
Pro
Re: Replace oil cooler and lines after blow up

Post by billet »

Replace, is always the best option.

However you can assume some slight risk or least reduce it a ton, by knowing how the system is ran and how much if any debris was made when the engine expired. If the cooler is after the filter and you have a really good filter (blocked bypass) and the engine made very little debris, then you could (BIG "COULD" there) be semi safe reusing. Again not recommended though
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

I clean them - very thoroughly and never had an issue.
Soak it in water soluble engine cleaner at least overnight then flush it through for a while with the same. Then put a water hose to it and flush it through for a few minutes both ways. Compressed air through it and hang it up to drip dry.
That's my recipe, but then I'm a tightwad and never like to see anything thrown away.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I always worried the pieces could have damaged the inside liner in in the cooler lines.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

It's certainly not uncommon for a blow-up's consequences to be carried forward to the next engine. Some teams I know routinely scrap all dubious lower end coolers but sell off the big buck ones with a warning about the need for cleaning.

Philosophically, if the filter is upstream of the cooler there is much less chance of debris lodging in the cooler but on the other hand, if there is any debris in the cooler, it's comforting to have the filter downstream... :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

oil coolers can be made out of GM A/C evaporator cores
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

How cleanable an oil cooler is depends on how it is made. A simple single tube that makes a series of bends is easy to flush out. If it has header tanks on each side the only way you can clean those is if you can cut the tanks apart and reweld.