Marine oil pan for your car

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
Marine oil pan for your car

Post by Little Mouse »

Im not a boat person but a while back my next door neighbor showed up with a new boat around 25 ft long think he said it weighed around 6000 lbs had a 496 bbc wet sump inboard outbord. It would do 75 out on the lake. So were out running it hard on the lake bouncing around making hard turns and it got me to thinking that the oil pan on it must do a pretty good job keeping the oil under control. So what would be wrong with an 8 inch deep full length marine pan in your street car slash go around corners fast and maybe a little drag racing.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: Marine oil pan for your car

Post by Truckedup »

Little Mouse wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 am Im not a boat person but a while back my next door neighbor showed up with a new boat around 25 ft long think he said it weighed around 6000 lbs had a 496 bbc wet sump inboard outbord. It would do 75 out on the lake. So were out running it hard on the lake bouncing around making hard turns and it got me to thinking that the oil pan on it must do a pretty good job keeping the oil under control. So what would be wrong with an 8 inch deep full length marine pan in your street car slash go around corners fast and maybe a little drag racing.
Can a boat pull 1 g in a turn like some cars can? can a boat pull near a G on initial acceleration ?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

It was bouncing around even harder out in the swells on the ocean.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Truckedup wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:52 am
Little Mouse wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 am Im not a boat person but a while back my next door neighbor showed up with a new boat around 25 ft long think he said it weighed around 6000 lbs had a 496 bbc wet sump inboard outbord. It would do 75 out on the lake. So were out running it hard on the lake bouncing around making hard turns and it got me to thinking that the oil pan on it must do a pretty good job keeping the oil under control. So what would be wrong with an 8 inch deep full length marine pan in your street car slash go around corners fast and maybe a little drag racing.
Can a boat pull 1 g in a turn like some cars can? can a boat pull near a G on initial acceleration ?
Depends on the boat. Some do see at or over a lateral g in turns and can see a g or more slowing down. A dry sump is the best option for this style of boat I am thinking of, but some of the classes do not allow drysump systems so wetsump it is. Now, the pans that are run are not average "marine" pans.

This one was a wet sump system I put together and it did great as long as the boat was right side up.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

A dry sump is also best for a car that pulls a G in corner..

Here's a page showing Mercury Marin replacement oil pans...They look like typical slightly deeper car oil pans on the outside.. No idea what's on the inside...The main point, will they fit a car chassis?

https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/mercru ... s/oil-pans
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

1. Plenty of "Marine" oil pans are intended for flywheel-forward applications (V-drive marine transmission).
2. How are you going to get a full-length oil pan to clear an automotive crossmember?
3. "Most" boats tilt to the inside of a turn. The angle of the tilt effectively cancels the "G-forces" of the turn. It's like a car on a steeply-banked curve.

Photo of a marine pickup tube--454, flywheel forward oil pan
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Have to use one listed for a jet drive engine set back in the car. Man a speed type boat put in the ocean swells just off shore gets thrown around a lot. Thing is twisting amd turning jumping up and down about like trying to ride a bull.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Little Mouse wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:25 pm Have to use one listed for a jet drive engine set back in the car. Man a speed type boat put in the ocean swells just off shore gets thrown around a lot. Thing is twisting amd turning jumping up and down about like trying to ride a bull.
Spot on. For a SBC/BBC it has to be a rear sump setup. The above picture of the relocated pickup is for a v-drive with the flywheel forward in the boat. The picture I posted with the boat in the air, has the flywheel to the rear as the drive is driven off the balancer end of the crank to assist with left turns. Many of the outdrive oil pans that do well in harsh environments are extra deep to keep the oil off of the crank while bouncing around. The pan we put in that circle boat held 14 quarts, but we usually ran it with 12 to 13 quarts to keep it out of the crank. Oil control in that pan was pretty good.

With as many good pans as there are out on the market today I would think you cold find something good for your application.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Fc-pilot yes most of the full length sbc marine pans are 8 quart have seen one that was 14 quart. I think back to my teens and twenties back in 60s and 70s all of us jokers had 11.50 to mid 12 second street strip cars everybody was running around with chevy pans with no baffling in them a tray bolted to the main caps. Yes i relise thats slow compaired to today but man we had no oil control lol. Now my friends boat pretty sure was just fiber glass not any kevlar in it when that hull is slaming into the swells on the ocean i came away with a new found respect for fiberglass and whatever that pan had for oil control.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

It's the stopping that is the problem with a boat pan in a car, I've always read and that makes sense.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Most marine application oil pans won't fit in car chassis, due to crossmember and steering linkage interference. Also, there are several different marine oil pan designs, which are designedfor the type of drive used, i.e. outdrive; jet; v-drive. As mentioned in a previous post, v-drive applications generally drive off of the flywheel, which is facing towards the front of the boat. Therefore, the pan needs to be designed and baffled differently than other types of marine pans. Still best to source your automotive oil pan from quality manufacturers such a Milodon, Moroso, Steff's, Canton, etc., etc.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Aviad, dan olson, armondos
R.Olds
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Olds »

[/quote]

[/quote]

99% of cars will never corner as well as a well set up K boat.....most cars will never accelerate as well as a well set up jet with some horse power..... :)
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

we see spikes of 2.2 G's laterally in our race boat. BBC chevy's do not survive with wetsumps for us. small blocks and LS engines have no issues.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

I may be crazy but if the car i buy and set the engine back in it think im going to use a marine pan. Armondos the guy that worked for aviad for 27 years makes pans down in el paso. They list both a 9 quart and a 12 qt for a sbc. But thats all there site shows no details just a price. Will call them find out more.