Interesting SBF issue....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blykins
Guru
Guru

Re: Interesting SBF issue....

Post by blykins »

MTENGINES wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:36 am Just wondering, do you not check lifter bore clearance? Or was it the oil band? Depending on who's lifters you buy, sometimes you need 2 or 3 sets to get them within .0005" now if they are some cheap economy I have seen them .0015" difference. If you aren't cheap they are usually more accurate then my means of measuring.

So some can be .0017 clearance and high side .0032" that's a big difference.
Yes, I do check lifter bore clearances with an outside mic and bore mic, but this was not a lifter bore clearance issue. Obviously, per the video, the metering disc was all whopper-jawed.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I did a 351c for a local guy same problem. The warehouse where we got the lifters said they will not even stock hyd lifters of any type from one company do to warranty claims. And said the rest of mfgs are a close second. This is a big warehouse for western Canada. The owner of this particular store who races says from what he has seen the last few years in hyd lifter quality he would never build one period. Wow that was news to me.We also had a bbf lifter set that were the wrong diameter( to small causing leak by around body). Not sure if it was just a packaging issue there. Glad you found it Brent!
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

MTENGINES wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:36 am Just wondering, do you not check lifter bore clearance? Or was it the oil band? Depending on who's lifters you buy, sometimes you need 2 or 3 sets to get them within .0005" now if they are some cheap economy I have seen them .0015" difference. If you aren't cheap they are usually more accurate then my means of measuring.

The gusher was coming through the pushrod hole and that's all. New lifter fixed the problem.

I do hear you on sizing though it is stupid!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Steve.k wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:43 am I did a 351c for a local guy same problem. The warehouse where we got the lifters said they will not even stock hyd lifters of any type from one company do to warranty claims. And said the rest of mfgs are a close second. This is a big warehouse for western Canada. The owner of this particular store who races says from what he has seen the last few years in hyd lifter quality he would never build one period. Wow that was news to me.We also had a bbf lifter set that were the wrong diameter( to small causing leak by around body). Not sure if it was just a packaging issue there. Glad you found it Brent!
What lifter company was he referring to?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

af2 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:53 pm

The gusher was coming through the pushrod hole and that's all. New lifter fixed the problem.

I do hear you on sizing though it is stupid!
I couldn't see the video. My phone wanted me to start an instagram. Who has time for all that. I rarely have enough to be here.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 pm
Steve.k wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:43 am I did a 351c for a local guy same problem. The warehouse where we got the lifters said they will not even stock hyd lifters of any type from one company do to warranty claims. And said the rest of mfgs are a close second. This is a big warehouse for western Canada. The owner of this particular store who races says from what he has seen the last few years in hyd lifter quality he would never build one period. Wow that was news to me.We also had a bbf lifter set that were the wrong diameter( to small causing leak by around body). Not sure if it was just a packaging issue there. Glad you found it Brent!
What lifter company was he referring to?
If you need to know shoot pm. I wont bad mouth them on here but the brand we had was same as the same as the ones they dumped. He will only special order at owners request and no warranty at all. He said the flat tappet and rollers were same. The ones i have done primarily all solids and if hyd not from this company.