Circle track cooling tips

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tracyracin
Circle track cooling tips

Post by tracyracin »

I have a 406ci circle track engine running upwards of 8000 rpm on dirt. I seem to have an over heating issue which happens inconsistently. Last week the air temp was 85 and the engine didn't over heat. Last night it was 60 degrees and I got 6 laps in before I shut it down. 240ish degrees and blowing water. We have changed the cap.. running a gutted thermostat. Radiator seems to be good.. no rust no restrictions good air flow. Is there any tips to help solve this problem?
dfitz16
Re: Circle track cooling tips

Post by dfitz16 »

4 Blade Steel Fan
26” Aluminum Radiator
Run a restrictor in lower hose
Good formed hoses, the ones with wire so they don’ t colaspe.
Open nose no air box or ducting
Add 6” piece of plastic from bottom of rad towards ground.
Make sure your pulleys aren’t slipping
Check temperature gauge
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

maybe water pump cavitation. if running a stock production pump remove every other fin from the water pump impeller. install a pressure gauge in the intake manifold water passage next to the thermostat housing to see if you are building pressure and if not you have cavitation.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

From just the one event to the next? Good suggestions but also check the coolant for combustion gases; bubbles might only appear under load when the block/gaskets/heads are stressed.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Headgasket is probably leaking under load.

Tests for combustion gas don't work.

A pressure gauge on the cooling system DOES.
Last edited by user-23911 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You have lifted a head gasket. Check for detonation issues and causes. Did you change fuels... Or... What did you change?
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

What else about the weather? From 85 with a low barometer and high humidity to 60 with high barometer and low humidity can swing the A/F about two jet sizes. If you were close to too lean to begin with the weather change could move it into A/F more likely to result in detonation.

What cylinder heads, compression ratio, cam timing? Many recently designed cylinder heads have 'fast burn' combustion chambers and do not need or want as much timing advance as traditional 23 deg. Chevy heads, some are good with 28 or even less with higher compression ratios, 13/1 + . Nearly all new heads need less timing than old-school stuff, in fact are allergic to too much timing. Advance you can get away with on a drag strip will burn a motor down on an oval.
dfitz16 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:29 pm 4 Blade Steel Fan
26” Aluminum Radiator
Check temperature gauge
Are you nuts? Why would you put a restriction in the lower hose, you want the pump to cavitate?
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

You don't actually need a fan.
Nobody does unless you're not moving.

If you work it out, a fan will give the equivalent airflow to about 15 mph if it's a good one. If you're moving faster than that then it's a cooling hindrance not a help.

Nor do you want something inside a hose to make it flow less.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

joe 90 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:14 am You don't actually need a fan.
Nobody does unless you're not moving.

If you work it out, a fan will give the equivalent airflow to about 15 mph if it's a good one. If you're moving faster than that then it's a cooling hindrance not a help.

Nor do you want something inside a hose to make it flow less.
Seriously, have you ever done any circle track racing or road racing? You need a fan, a shroud and a chin spoiler. Particular the chin spoiler if the nose of the car is more than a few inches off the track surface, even then a lip straight down from the core support will do more for cooling than most think. A shovel nose Camaro will overheat at 130 MPH without a chin spoiler, fan or no fan. If you ask me, I will tell you how I know.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Like I said, a fan is for 15 mph and less.
Tuner wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:24 am A shovel nose Camaro will overheat at 130 MPH without a chin spoiler, fan or no fan.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Water pump cavitation.

You need to slow the pump down - stock style pumps are designed to work well from 600-5000rpm, turn it to 8000 & it'll cavitate.

I'd typically use 50% underdrive (smaller crank pulley or larger pump pulley).

Or you could just fit an electric pump.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Your 406 it telling you that at 60 degrees of air temp it's running lean !
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
tracyracin

Post by tracyracin »

Tuner wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:56 am What else about the weather? From 85 with a low barometer and high humidity to 60 with high barometer and low humidity can swing the A/F about two jet sizes. If you were close to too lean to begin with the weather change could move it into A/F more likely to result in detonation.

What cylinder heads, compression ratio, cam timing? Many recently designed cylinder heads have 'fast burn' combustion chambers and do not need or want as much timing advance as traditional 23 deg. Chevy heads, some are good with 28 or even less with higher compression ratios, 13/1 + . Nearly all new heads need less timing than old-school stuff, in fact are allergic to too much timing. Advance you can get away with on a drag strip will burn a motor down on an oval.
dfitz16 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:29 pm 4 Blade Steel Fan
26” Aluminum Radiator
Check temperature gauge
Are you nuts? Why would you put a restriction in the lower hose, you want the pump to cavitate?
15 degree Headed 13.7 to 1 sbc, close to 750hp. Timed at 36 degrees. I dont have any other specs on the weather. The motor has ran hot 2 other times and it just seems to not be week to week.
blown265
Pro
Pro

Post by blown265 »

Hello mate.
Do you run an advance curve, or is the timing locked? If the ignition has an intermitant advance mechanism, then the engine temp may follow suit. Notwithstanding the temp/humidity/AFR relationship, the advance (or lack of) could be something to check.
Regards
Paul
tracyracin

Post by tracyracin »

Thanks all for the replies. I did a compression and leak down test with no questionable results. I dont see or hear any movement in the radiator when i air up the cylinders (like there would be with a bad head gasket). It is a freshly built engine with only 6 races on it. Over heating 3 of the six. It has a stock type aluminum water pump on it. We have tried a mix of water and antifreeze, straight water, and water with a cooling additive.