Moroso 21237

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Moroso 21237

Post by BOOT »

So does my pump. Good to hear another's positive experience with the style pump. My pan is a modified Moroso 20183 8.25", what depth is yours?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Probably:

The oil rushing forward at the end of the run gets churned by the rotating assembly and rapidly dispersed across the surface of the oil the length of the pan. The shelf that you constructed delays the returning oil and gives the antifoam a chance to break the larger surface bubbles (so the residency time of the oil fraction above the baffle is increased). Smaller bubbles persist longer and are still drawn into the pump lowering the pressure.

When you experiment with solvents in the pan, tilt the pan forward by 45 degrees to simulate just 1g of braking. I suggest the solvent used be water because you'll probably flood the floor.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

It goes down to 20lbs, I have heard that is not going to be a problem, from a few sources. I guess I'm just being anal. My own car has a 79 dollar eBay street/strip 7qt pan with zero loss of pressure in the shut down. That's what is frustrating to me. One would think Moroso selling a 800 dollar oil pan would test for things like this. It's not my money that paid for it, but it's still aggravating that it don't work well.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Rod bearings can survive without damage up to 25% aeration; mains 50%. Can does not mean always will.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I plan to pull the engine this winter and look things over. Depending how the bearings look I will rethink the oiling system as needed I guess. It's an expensive engine and I just am being paranoid I guess because it's not mine.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:19 pm Rod bearings can survive without damage up to 25% aeration; mains 50%. Can does not mean always will.
I went back to my references to make sure accurate info is being given (it should have been 30% for the rods but note the caveat about testing conditions); here is my source:
Aeration_level.gif
Aeration_references_1.gif
Aeration_references_2.gif
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

Before you tear it down again I would try a pass with an additional half quart of oil in it. You never know until you try.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

DCal wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:55 pm Before you tear it down again I would try a pass with an additional half quart of oil in it. You never know until you try.
Good point.