mandrels for cartridge rolls

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
mandrels for cartridge rolls

Post by rebelrouser »

For the head porters, what is the best mandrels for cartridge rolls? I am having issues with my long ones bending while I am polishing down in the ports. I use air powered die grinders, I have tried to reduce the speed but that does not seem to help a lot. I am assuming as the cartridge wears it goes out of balance and that is what bends the mandrel. And they are made out of soft steel. I had a couple I used for years and they finally just wore off the treads that lock the rolls. The replacements just seem to be junk.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: mandrels for cartridge rolls

Post by mag2555 »

Ruffstuff.com or Goodson supply.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

You got years out of mandrels !! can you give me the brand name of them? maybe you are more careful with them than you think! i would go through at least a handful of them a year,even Goodson ones ,typically the taper thread blunts with use .
I buy the long ones and cut them down to what i need , i also cut the the spindle back by .250" to .375" , and pretty much exclusively use
1/2"x1 1/2" cartridge rolls, i know the roll does not have the full support of the spindle when shortened so i work port areas that require tighter radial finishing with new rolls till the roll wears back then work the longer higher load sections as the roll wears down further so optimizing roll life , solid Boelube on the roll help a lot.

Cheers.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

goodson was the orginal ones I had, but the replacements from Goodson did not seem to work as well. I only do about 4 sets a year, so that is one reason for the long life.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Where is it bending. Because you can get bigger of with a reduced shank to 1/4 I have a few of those. Can't remember if it was CHA or MSC or Grainger. You can also get thicker tips that do not bend. I don't like them. As a matter of fact I think I used the few I bought maybe 4 times.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I have tried to make some out of grade 8 1/4" bolts the problem is the threaded end on the reduced part that i could not duplicate. #-o Mark H.
Ladderbar

Post by Ladderbar »

I put a piece of 1/4 tubing over the mandrel and it worked real well. I let it roll free so you have to oil between the 2 pieces. It works.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MSC sells drill rod. You could try to make your own.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Raw ... d=12102229
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Get a few cryoed LOL
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

rebelrouser wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:51 am For the head porters, what is the best mandrels for cartridge rolls? I am having issues with my long ones bending while I am polishing down in the ports. I use air powered die grinders, I have tried to reduce the speed but that does not seem to help a lot. I am assuming as the cartridge wears it goes out of balance and that is what bends the mandrel. And they are made out of soft steel. I had a couple I used for years and they finally just wore off the treads that lock the rolls. The replacements just seem to be junk.
3m makes decent ones. Standard abrasives among others sells them. I usually buy the 4" and 6" long versions and cut them down if needed. The trick I use to make them live longer is to support the mandrel with a gloved hand holding a cotton rag wrapped around them. Bogs the grinder speed a bit and burns the rag but it works well enough to make them last for years. Gives much greater control and reduces flex to avoid bending.