Oil pressure fluctuations with tight bearing clearances

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: Oil pressure fluctuations with tight bearing clearances

Post by Truckedup »

AC sports wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:29 pm That makes sense to me. The particular issue is this: giving the car a straight line hit sees the pressure drop a little then pick up and stabilize at the relief valve pressure. I'm pretty certain it's not surge related cause I'm not pulling big g's . The engine ran for years without issue until rebuild. The only difference with this build is the bearing clearances are on the tight side. 2" main journal. 1.4 thou clearance vs 2 thou before.
Ok, so you mean like hitting the engine wide open after a turn? It could be a simple as a momentary slight drop in pressure when the oil pressure relief valve opens fully, the pressure goes back up when the pump catches up so to speak as the relieve valve closes a bit....If this isn't normal then you'll have to investigate...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

That's what it's doing but it wasn't before the build.
The only 2 differences in the engine are the tighter bearing clearances in this build and the oil pickup strainer. Originally the strainer was a 4" mesh. Now I put a jam jar lid over the mesh and cut out a smaller 2" circle in the lid to stop the pump sucking air from the edges on turns. It's not actually a jam jar lid but similar. It's from a later model version of this car.
It's a simple enough operation to take the sump off and resort to the original setup....but just nice to understand what's going on and why.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Most of the high performance pick ups I see are small rectangular boxes with coarse screen..I do know that screen mesh size can affect air flow on bike carburetors...You may have created a bottleneck with the smaller diameter and same size mesh...I suppose the only way to know is too pull the pan and change it....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

I actually installed the mesh and pickup from a later model, hence my confusion as to why the fluctuations if the later models had it and it worked fine.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Fiat has a very large assortment of pans and pickups.

If you are using the same pump in the picture that I posted last year, it appears that the suction opening is offset to the front of the engine. With your circular baffle that would create a transient localized starvation area under heavy forward acceleration. A vortex would likely travel up the forward wall of the circular baffle.
Auto-Oil-Pump-for-FIAT-FIAT-132.jpg
20170329_143547.jpg
20170329_142523.jpg
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Hi Kevin.
This is a different engine I'm working on. No modified baffles like my previous post ( which is where your pix are from) This is an 1800 sump without the circular baffle in the base of the sump. Basically a standard windage tray across the top. I left it as such because after running it in I'm installing an accusump.
Indeed I took the gauze and jam lid with hole as in your pic, and installed it on the original oil pump.
BTW interesting to see the Chinese are making them now!
The one I have is NOS out of Italy. Lucky me!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Longitudinal or transverse installation (e.g., Scorpion, Monte Carlo)?
Last edited by Kevin Johnson on Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

If it's the bearing clearance using a thinner oil should solve most if not all of it.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

It's in a north south RWD application. A 124 coupe to be precise.
10w40 synthetic is the plan if it ever gets run in.
Right now it's on 15w40 mineral .
I'm still concerned about the tight main bearing clearances though @ 1.4".
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

That's a 5 main bearing 4 cylinder with a rigid block and crank?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

AC sports wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:45 pm It's in a north south RWD application. A 124 coupe to be precise.
10w40 synthetic is the plan if it ever gets run in.
Right now it's on 15w40 mineral .
I'm still concerned about the tight main bearing clearances though @ 1.4".
This general pan with baffle?
late 1800 pan.jpg
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Truckedup wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:54 pm That's a 5 main bearing 4 cylinder with a rigid block and crank?
Yes.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Yes and yes.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

AC sports wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:16 pm Yes and yes.
Since the hole is offset, indicate where it sits on the pic below. Also, when you transferred the cover and screening over to the pickup did you make sure that the screening is well proud of the inner surface of the cover? Otherwise the flow cannot reach the additional open area and would be restricted and possibly cause cavitation at high pump rpms.
4433914.jpg
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

When you exit the turn is the car in understeer, neutral or oversteer?