Solid roller lifters on the street, and keeping an eye on them

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-30257

Re: Solid roller lifters on the street, and keeping an eye on them

Post by user-30257 »

kirkwoodken wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:41 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:59 am Your Lunati roller cam calls for a .030" hot lash setting. Set it TIGHTER than this for extended life and street life. Try setting it cold at .018.020" COLD and then check to when hot. Look for around .022 .024 ish HOT.

loose valve lash is hard on ANY roller lifter.
Those little needle bearings are spinning like crazy and creating heat. They need all the oil they can get in high RPM engines. I would advise at least 1200 RPM idle speed to keep a good oil flow going to the rollers. Because roller lifters do not spin like non rollers, their lack of rotation does not promote making an oil wedge around the lifter. You need to take this into consideration when building a roller engine. The oil clearance between the lifter and block is more critical than with FT lifters. There is a reason the newer roller engines have longer rollers and deeper holes for them to ride in. (I think ALL aftermarket lifters should be made .003"-.005" oversize so lifter holes MUST be honed to proper clearances.)

I do not understand the mindset that a street engine needs to turn 7000 RPM. You can get great performance, torque band, etc. with a well designed cam turning 6000-6500 RPM. The cam in my 406 SBC signs off at about 6400, but makes gobs of street usable power. (Harold Brookshire's favorite Pro Street grind. His all purpose lobes from his UltraDyne days.)
First WTF, and the longer rollers too.

Second NO we do not need people honing their lifter bores out .005 and ruining their blocks,

Third maybe what you don't understand about street cars is there is absolutely no need for 800lb ft of torque when there isn't a street tire that will handle it. I favor more rpm, specifically to loose some of the down low power. Why because for one it makes more horsepower, two it is more controllable to drive and three because it only make a sense.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Headguy wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:15 pm... there is absolutely no need for 800lb ft of torque when there isn't a street tire that will handle it. I favor more rpm, specifically to loose some of the down low power. Why because for one it makes more horsepower, two it is more controllable to drive and three because it only make a sense.
And four, I love the rush when a big cam engine comes on song! (Might get old in a daily driver, but with 35,000 miles in 48 years, my one-owner '70-1/2 big block Camaro is sure not one of those.)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Casper393W wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:34 pm I have changed my oil 3 times and each time it has just a small amount of sludge on the magnet drain plug... I believe it to be additives that are in the oil.... The oil itself is always super clean! That is one reason I run Valvoline. the oil is blue/clear and is easy to spot something before it gets out of hand! This has been my first solid Roller street engine and I always check the oil after each time I drive it... And like others have said I have mine idled at 1050-1100 rpm. To keep oil on the Lifters..

I would love to hear some Concrete talk on when to replace lifters and springs.. on our setups
If the used oil is clean after several miles thats actually a bad sign, meaning it isn't removing teh carbon deposits into your engine, like it should. Racing oils have very little detergency.

I bet if you use a big rig engine oil it will clean your engine inside and be very dark at the oil change. This kind of oil have lots of detergency.

BTW somebody using the Isky EZ bushed roller lifters on the street?
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:30 pm

BTW somebody using the Isky EZ bushed roller lifters on the street?
Yep.
I'm on my second set,this time I had the lifter bores bored and honed for .904 lifters.
The first set went app 25,000 miles on untouched lifter bores on my Mark IV BBC.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

GuysMonteSS wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:08 pm
Yep.
I'm on my second set,this time I had the lifter bores bored and honed for .904 lifters.
The first set went app 25,000 miles on untouched lifter bores on my Mark IV BBC.
Guy
Wow, thats not bad!! =D>

Do you spect a longer life with the bigger bore/wheel lifter combo?
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:23 pm
GuysMonteSS wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:08 pm
Yep.
Guy
Wow, thats not bad!! =D>

Do you spect a longer life with the bigger bore/wheel lifter combo?
I sure hope so !!
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

the 427 sbc i recently built had isky red zone roller lifters that looked perfect after teardown but i sent them back to isky to have them bushed.the roller lifters would have lasted a long time im sure but knowing i dont have to worry about needle bearings disintegrating and going through the engine means quite a bit to me on a customers engine