has anyone ever seen a new bearing with schmutz like this on it?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

stokerboats
Pro
Pro
Re: has anyone ever seen a new bearing with schmutz like this on it?

Post by stokerboats »

I'd use them but I don't scuff bearings as shown in the photo.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

stokerboats wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:34 pm I'd use them but I don't scuff bearings as shown in the photo.
that one is in the bin now.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Truckedup wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:20 pm I sent a photo of the bearing to a bike riding friend in Scotland who is a automotive bearing engineer...See what he says...
This is his reply a few minutes ago......
that looks like the colour coding was not done properly and too much paint has been applied and over run. As long as he bought green coded bearings then he can remove it with thinners but test first on the back of the bearing as you do not want to remove any of the overlay plate from the front and its really thin and soft, if in doubt leave it alone for the oil to wash away. Most Aprilia engines are made by Rotax of Austria, they can be bought by other manufacturers and then you can buy their cheaper spares. Aprilia mark up on spares is huge, the V990 engine I have is used in several KTM's and one of the Quad bikes, yet to buy any part from Aprilia.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Truckedup wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:04 pm
Truckedup wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:20 pm I sent a photo of the bearing to a bike riding friend in Scotland who is a automotive bearing engineer...See what he says...
This is his reply a few minutes ago......
that looks like the colour coding was not done properly and too much paint has been applied and over run. As long as he bought green coded bearings then he can remove it with thinners but test first on the back of the bearing as you do not want to remove any of the overlay plate from the front and its really thin and soft, if in doubt leave it alone for the oil to wash away. Most Aprilia engines are made by Rotax of Austria, they can be bought by other manufacturers and then you can buy their cheaper spares. Aprilia mark up on spares is huge, the V990 engine I have is used in several KTM's and one of the Quad bikes, yet to buy any part from Aprilia.
I am afraid this ones not a rotax its an sxv550 engine. It was one of their first in house motors.
It wont come off with solvent, tried barymans b12 on it. I really don't think its paint.
Calico is going to look at them for me.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

It does look kinda green, musta been Friday after lunch when production setups of paint spots for grade& quality control get a little lax.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I found some from another supplier that allegedly don't have this stuff on it. I ordered them. I contacted calico they are going to take a look at these for me.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

I've seen spots on bearings before, but *nothing* like that.

Just for kicks, have you tried installing them and checking the clearance?