Lincoln Town Car Platic Intake Manifold

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Fastollar
Lincoln Town Car Platic Intake Manifold

Post by Fastollar »

I read or saw a blip about how to avoid replacing/taking off these plastic manifolds
It had to do with rerouting the heater hose from firewall to intake at the rear where you can't reach anything, and running it forward, down into the "valley" and behind/into the water pump, thus eliminating the necessity of going through the back of the intake where they trend to leak?
Ring a bell with anyone? 2000 Lincoln Town Car 4..6
mitch
Expert
Expert
Re: Lincoln Town Car Platic Intake Manifold

Post by mitch »

Usually the metal pipe that goes to the heater hose and back of water pump are what leaks.I do not know of a way to replace it without pulling the intake. Good luck
Mitch
Fastollar

Post by Fastollar »

That's the whole idea! To avoid removing/and/or replacing the manifold, just reroute around it.
The hose then runs straight forward from the firewall, to underneath where the valley/water pump is and connects directly there.
I could only find 1 video, and they don't show where or how to attach it to the water pump.
mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch »

If you can see the pipe behind the water pump maybe you can unbolt it from the back of the head and pull it off then you might be able to fish the hose under the intake and put a clamp om it. The metal pipe just slips over the nipple and it has 2 orings for sealing. I do not have one here to look at as far as being able to do what you are talking about. Take the alternator off if it is in the middle of the motor and maybe you can see the pipe and nipple. Good luck
Mitch
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

You physically can not get anything off or on that nipple without pulling the intake.

Intake R&R is really not all that difficult. If I remember right you don't even need to pull the fuel rails on that era 4.6. The only pain is the bracket that bolts behind the driver's side head that, as far as I can figure, is there so that in a hard enough frontal collision, if the engine gets pushed back the wiper motor won't shear the fuel rail off and cause a massive fuel spray. But that is what gear wrenches are for.