Ford opposing piston engine debut

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

shiftbyear
Ford opposing piston engine debut

Post by shiftbyear »

Is this the wave of the future for combustion engines?

https://www.trucks.com/2018/01/15/detro ... up-engine/
gruntguru
Guru
Guru
Re: Ford opposing piston engine debut

Post by gruntguru »

The most interesting thing in that article is the Achates engine fitted is a gasoline, compression ignition version.

They claim 37 mpg and for the diesel fuelled version - 42 mpg. So why install the gasoline version for the show? Emissions?
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

is that the outfit that bought katech a couple years ago ??
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

The article reads like Ford had nothing to do with it except for the fact that they used a Ford truck ? Achates put the engine in the truck and is doing the testing. Not Ford. Or did I misread something?

"Achates Power and Aramco Services outfitted a truck..."

"In its diesel configuration, the same 2.7-liter, three-cylinder opposed-piston engine being demonstrated in the Achates-Aramco pickup"

That's not Ford? Look like it's all Achates-Aramco and the Ford truck is just a tool to test the engine. <shrug>
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

gruntguru wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:00 pm The most interesting thing in that article is the Achates engine fitted is a gasoline, compression ignition version.

They claim 37 mpg and for the diesel fuelled version - 42 mpg. So why install the gasoline version for the show? Emissions?
Well it says the same engine can be converted to run on multiple fuels. So maybe it's not as simplified as putting in one or the other. Maybe you wouldnt have to swap anything except the fuel. Considering a majority of US cars are gas, it make sense to me to have the gas version on display, considering there would be more of them on the road than diesel.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:09 pm
gruntguru wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:00 pm The most interesting thing in that article is the Achates engine fitted is a gasoline, compression ignition version.

Well it says the same engine can be converted to run on multiple fuels. So maybe it's not as simplified as putting in one or the other. Maybe you wouldnt have to swap anything except the fuel. Considering a majority of US cars are gas, it make sense to me to have the gas version on display, considering there would be more of them on the road than diesel.
I would have thought a lot of US trucks are diesel? If your diesel version has 12% better fuel consumption, wouldn't you headline that?
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Sounds a lot like a re-incarnation of the British Commer truck engine of many decades ago, commonly known as the ' Double Knocker'.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

gruntguru wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:36 pm

I would have thought a lot of US trucks are diesel? If your diesel version has 12% better fuel consumption, wouldn't you headline that?
Most US light trucks are gasoline... the 8500 lb. and heavier gross vehicle weight jobs are likely 60/40 diesel vs. gasoline.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

gruntguru wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:36 pm

The vast majority of US privately owned trucks run on guzzoline.

Diesel is mainly used by hippies in VW Jettas and New Beetles, commercial trucks much heavier-duty than pickups (Class 8 style Large Trucks, Isuzu cabover style medium-duty trucks too, atlhough most of the new ones of those are powered by Chevy 6-liter gasoline engines), and brodozer hipsters who want to show off how much fuel they can throw unused out the tailpipe in the form of soot.

I have some friends who are VERY happy with their Ecoboost Fords. That 2.7 is a real monster.
gregsdart

Post by gregsdart »

All i can say is WOW! That is a 75 percent inprovement in fuel economy. If the life span of the motor is good, and has low maintenance, its' a world beater for sure. That would bring the total energy efficeincy up from about 40 percent to 60 percent?
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!