Main girdles

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Main girdles

Post by rebelrouser »

I have only used them on big block Mopar's, since its a Y block design the girdle bolts to the pan rail, a good strong arrangement. My experience is on engines over 650 horse it helps keep the bottom end together. Of course it seems it is just a band aid, because around 700 HP its just moves around what cracks. I have had cylinders go barrel shaped, pushing against the block fill and cracking the outside of the block. And with the girdle the number 2 main does crack, but the block will across the oil feed hole to the cam bearing on number 2 main. Best money I ever spent was for an aftermarket block.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

peejay wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:09 pm
Steve.k wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 pm It seems to me while adding strength they curb some harmonics. I know guys that swear by them and if u have good luck with certain combos you do not switch. Im betting there is damaging harmonics we cannot detect with only high strength testing equipment.
DV detailed testing this by extending the main studs through an oil pan, so they could measure how much everything was deflecting while under load on a dyno.
Whatever. Quit drinking the kool aid, Jesus.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

I thought about making one for the SB Ford, which I have for the past 20 years....but with a thicker main cap that the girdle could lay flat on. Then maybe weld some plate diagonally across the lifter valley.

Then I costed it out...and how much can you spend on a crappy block before you just go an buy a Dart?
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

^^^^^^^Yep Mark O, an engine is kinda like a house/structure, if the foundation/engine block is not strong enough you are asking for problems. Mark H. BTW i build houses. :wink:
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

Steve.k wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 pm It seems to me while adding strength they curb some harmonics. I know guys that swear by them and if u have good luck with certain combos you do not switch. Im betting there is damaging harmonics we cannot detect with only high strength testing equipment.
DV detailed testing this by extending the main studs through an oil pan, so they could measure how much everything was deflecting while under load on a dyno.
Did it test in multiple axes? As in, axial stretch, and radial deflection? The forces that tear up bottom ends tend to be axial along the main bolts/studs (which is why if you beef up the mains, it'll eventually just rip out the webbing). The forces rocker girdles help with are radial (trying to bend the studs sideways). Two different beasts. You could likely deflect the simple "halo" girdle in the stud's axial direction just by pulling on it by hand. It may help stop some deflection radially, but studs with extra clamping force would help with that too.

I mean, the halo girdle probably doesn't hurt. But imho it's a naive application of something that works (rocker stud girdle), in a misapplied attempt to fix a completely different kind of problem.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:39 am ^^^^^^^Yep Mark O, an engine is kinda like a house/structure, if the foundation/engine block is not strong enough you are asking for problems. Mark H. BTW i build houses. :wink:
Btw...I'd rather build houses... :D
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Note in the bearing beam patent that additional mechanical advantage is employed by not making the structure simply planar. Suzuki used so-called stiffeners (4mm thick) with the G13B that used three dimensional mechanical advantage. BMW used triangular plates of similar thickness to tie the ferrous main caps to the alloy block skirts in versions of the M54. The Chrysler update of the AMC straight six used a bar to tie together the mains. The Mazda BP used a formed main bearing support plate to tie the mains to the skirts. Just ideas to ponder.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Zmechanic wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm
Did it test in multiple axes? As in, axial stretch, and radial deflection? The forces that tear up bottom ends tend to be axial along the main bolts/studs (which is why if you beef up the mains, it'll eventually just rip out the webbing). The forces rocker girdles help with are radial (trying to bend the studs sideways). Two different beasts. You could likely deflect the simple "halo" girdle in the stud's axial direction just by pulling on it by hand. It may help stop some deflection radially, but studs with extra clamping force would help with that too.

I mean, the halo girdle probably doesn't hurt. But imho it's a naive application of something that works (rocker stud girdle), in a misapplied attempt to fix a completely different kind of problem.
I can't find it, but I remember that the numbers were significant and they didn't actually affect power output!
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

peejay wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:43 pm
Zmechanic wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm

I can't find it, but I remember that the numbers were significant and they didn't actually affect power output!
Yes, many prominent figures in racing have "peeked behind the curtain" so to speak and found things that look extremely ugly on their face, but yet seem to work. Such as a pro stock engine's cam accelerating and decelerating the equivalent of nearly 1k rpm through a single revolution. Or a nitrous pro mod engine's crank snout deflecting up to 0.060".
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

And Steve.k ?

In your more recent post you drop the BOMB you should have dropped in the first post !- 2000HP! :roll:

In my opinion there ain't no stock Ford Cleveland block that's gonna last at 2000HP with a girdle or 4 bolt billet main caps and bolts!! The block structure in the webbing over the crankshaft in that block will just break and pullout. Need to run a Cleveland at 2000HP, get a block that can take that!

Don't post and ask for discussion about an issue that's self evident. Make the post realistic with the parameters set out in the first post PLEASE!
Thank You!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Newold thats not my engine i just posted that as example of a extreme case. Obviously the cleveland block is structurally to weak. But it is interesting. Im more interested if it works on the regular two bolts which are plenty. I know some that run 750 hp on two bolt with only girdle and aftermarket fastners.
arlancam509

Post by arlancam509 »

someone mentioned earlier, the bed plate. here are a few pictures i took of a honda. pretty stout stuff.

the iron main caps are cast into the aluminum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
° alt+0176 °
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Ahh yes. Almost like ol FE
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Thanks for posting, stout looking piece indeed

Anyone know what aluminum and presumably cast iron alloys are used in that girdle, and their co efficients of expansion?

Surely they must be near identical for such a critical application :shock:
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

arlancam509 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 am someone mentioned earlier, the bed plate. here are a few pictures i took of a honda. pretty stout stuff.

the iron main caps are cast into the aluminum.
What do you think that piece is worth if you have failure. Wow.