My wild dual quad setup a success!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rq375

Re: My wild dual quad setup a success!

Post by rq375 »

I'm thinking a 4777 converted to side hung bowls may be the ticket for the primary, with the 4224 secondary.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

rq375 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 am I'm thinking a 4777 converted to side hung bowls may be the ticket for the primary, with the 4224 secondary.
That would be nice but you would still need the secondary metering block for the secondary accel pump to function and there is no room for that.
Only room for a pair of 4160 style carbs. I'm about 1/8th inch from rear bowl to firewall and .020 from bowl to distributor and about 1/8th inch between the carbs.
However,surprisingly the old time screw in the secondary shaft end link works well on THIS application!

I will keep the secondary diaphragm housing in place and install the plain spring to keep the secondary throttle returning to closed position for a stable idle speed. Right now the weak White spring that was need for better function lets the throttle plate crack open just a bit to raise idle speed.
Of course the vac. passage will be sealed off with a small gasket.

What is nice is when working the throttle pedal while driving you can feel the linkage hit when it hits the end of slot travel for 40% primary use on front carb. Then more pressure starts the FUN as the rear carb and front secondary comes in to play. Just like the linkage on the 426 Street Hemi we have!
Last edited by 427dart on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Nice work and results!
Kind of a retro project when you consider Ford sold the 427 dual Holley quad setup in Fairlanes and Cobra's back in 1966 - 52 years ago!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
rq375

Post by rq375 »

427dart wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am
That would be nice but you would still need the secondary metering block for the secondary accel pump to function and there is no room for that.
Only room for a pair of 4160 style carbs. I'm about 1/8th inch from rear bowl to firewall and .020 from bowl to distributor and about 1/8th inch between the carbs.
However,surprisingly the old time screw in the secondary shaft end link works well on THIS application!

[/quote]

A Scout cap (AL-482) and points rotor will get you enough clearance at the distributor.