General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NORSK

Re: Which Megasquirt?

Post by NORSK »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:55 pm
NORSK wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:49 pm Check these out http://www.maxxecu.com/
Way better/easier than MS and good support
I had not heard of maxxecu. Good looking system. Fast processor with a lot of features.
Very user friendly,good support and in the end i think it is cheaper than MS
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

NORSK wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:43 am Very user friendly,good support and in the end i think it is cheaper than MS
That's pretty much the story with all the name brand stuff. MS has come a long way with the MS3, not really far enough that I would use one but they are at least on the list these days and I can't really fault anyone who selects one. Nothing like the old MS1 days.....

There are lots of options to run an engine on the market....the "best ecu comes down to the other things that matter to you so maybe make a list and try to put it in order then match up the various ECU to see fits your person needs best.

For those you really like to get into the program this is the one I'm using these days and I just love it, never thought I'd say that about an ecu:
https://enginelab.net/product/el129-ecu/

This is the base that the AEM stuff is built from (they used to have an exclusive), but you write your own upper level control logic just as AEM did for their products:
https://enginelab.net/documentation/

Not for the faint of heard but very very powerful once you get the hang of it. Stupid stuff like the oil pressure sender for my car is nla...I bought and installed a pressure transducer which I read into the ECU, where I can log it, use it to limit hp/rpm at low oil pressure, light a warning light AND out a signal that controls the factory gauge on the dash and is now more accurate than it ever was with the factory sending unit. I have 12 TBs, so I made a TB tuning screen that shows me the % error in MAP signal coming from each TB compared to the one the throttle controller (throttle by wire) attaches to....and the controller does stall control, idle control, traction control for me....at least in theory since its not all fully tested and tuned yet. I just keep adding stuff as I think of it or see a cool feature in another ecu. I love this ECU...because I love to modify stuff and it lets me.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

emsvitil wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:02 am A microsquirt can run up to 4 wasted spark logic level coils.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't pair logic COP (1-6,2-5,3-4). You'd run 6 logic COP but the microsquirt would think it's running 3 wasted spark pairs.
Thanks! I just went to the microsquirt hardware manual and sure enough, it can.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Waste spark is fine but batch or semi-sequential fuel kind of sucks and that's what you'd be stuck with if you choose a 4cyl ecu like a microsquirt.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

mk e wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:48 am Waste spark is fine but batch or semi-sequential fuel kind of sucks and that's what you'd be stuck with if you choose a 4cyl ecu like a microsquirt.

There seems to be proponents both of sequential and batch. (And “enthusiastic discussions” about their merits)

From what I read, sequential is better for low rpm emissions, part throttle and for tuning trim on cylinders etc.., it ends up semi-sequential at higher RPM and higher fuel rate because of injector duration.

I’m trying to decide why I need more sophistication in the application?
Being an archaic inline six, I have to think any port injection has better fuel distribution and control than a blow-thru carb or TBI with a typical inline six carb manifold.

With two channel batch, Ford grouped the front three and rear three cylinders together 123, 456. Often I see two batch systems set up to fire 153, 624. It’s not anything semi-sequential grouped that way, but may have less dead time before the intake valve opens.

MS3X, for example, would allow full sequential. Not that much more cost or wiring, just more set-up and tuning. I have no intention of installing six wideband sensors or six EGT probes. I’m not sure how much effective fuel trimming I could do, except by reading spark plugs.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

The best aspect is that ms3 is able to use individual ignition coils for every cyl. It gives way more improved spark and stable engine running. But you need to do what you need to do.
There are undoubtedly better systems out there if you put more money on the table. In terms of a DIY unit, ms is fine.
NORSK

Post by NORSK »

How much money is a MS3?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

NORSK wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:24 pm How much money is a MS3?
MS3 assembled $645
MS3X - assembled $692.
MS3 kit, $405. the 3X expansion board is $110 so the DIY kit for MS3X is $525
Microsquirt assembled $314.

None of the product includes the o2 sensor. Microsquirt requires an external MAP sensor.

AFIK, The kits include a connector for making a harness. The assembled require a harness, or you have to source a connector and make a harness.

MaxxECU STREET PREMIUM (ECU, harness, accessories and LSU 4.2) is $1029
it will support up to six cylinders sequential injection and timing. It’s an attractive unit for the price.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:33 pm
mk e wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:48 am Waste spark is fine but batch or semi-sequential fuel kind of sucks and that's what you'd be stuck with if you choose a 4cyl ecu like a microsquirt.

There seems to be proponents both of sequential and batch. (And “enthusiastic discussions” about their merits)
The only proponents of batch are the people who buggered up there fuel rail sizing so badly it won't run any other way and they don't want to fix it.

The only proponents of semi-sequential are people too cheap to buy a proper ecu or too lazy to install the proper sensors required for full sequential.

Seriously....those systems both fall in "the better than nothing" bucket. I don't think there has ever been an oem batch-fire anything and semi-sequential came and went pretty quick...because it doesn't work all that well. The higher end oems suck to mechanical continuous injection until sequential options were available, that should tell you something. The difference is only a couple hundred $ between and ecu that does everything right and the cheapest option you can possibly find to make work.....the ecu is the brain of the engine and controls how the entire project acts, why on earth would you pick one of the most critical components to skimp on? Seems like penny wise and pound foolish to me but it is your money and your project so I hope all turns out to your liking.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

I’m not set on anything yet. That’s the point of the thread, discussion, advise. The more I hear, the more I want to read about, get into the manuals, etc...

The MS3 /MS3X kit seems the best value. Plus if I return the truck to original, (swap the carb engine back in) I have something more flexible for another project.
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

if your going to buy a MS2 3.0 don't forget the relay box also it makes the installation easier
I think ,,

I was able to source the harness cable and ends from a local electronic store used a 20 pair 16 or 18 gauge wire that it calls for in the manual.. My friend that helped me is using 8 ls coils on his MS2,, I went to a local water jet shop and had them water jet a 36-1 wheel that we machined the back of the damper and made a VR pickup bracket..

A place called the dub shop has a lot of items for your install and a website call www.shoptalkforums.com has a lot of info mostly used on VWs but can be used on your app also that's kind of the nice thing about ms stuff is that they show you how to use different items and how to wire them for your app and how to test the items with a volt/ohm meter,

like I said earler gm injectors with ford EDIS w/band O2 gm air and coolent sensors and a ford throttle p/s..

the guy that helps me out with mine said that I had about 90% of the stuff I needed laying around my shop.. are you doing a 300 ford 6 if so I could have a port fuel injection manifold that has a broken ear it would need to be tig welded.. let know if you need it
396monteSS

Post by 396monteSS »

mk e wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:09 pm
Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:33 pm

The only proponents of batch are the people who buggered up there fuel rail sizing so badly it won't run any other way and they don't want to fix it.

The only proponents of semi-sequential are people too cheap to buy a proper ecu or too lazy to install the proper sensors required for full sequential.

Seriously....those systems both fall in "the better than nothing" bucket. I don't think there has ever been an oem batch-fire anything and semi-sequential came and went pretty quick...because it doesn't work all that well. The higher end oems suck to mechanical continuous injection until sequential options were available, that should tell you something. The difference is only a couple hundred $ between and ecu that does everything right and the cheapest option you can possibly find to make work.....the ecu is the brain of the engine and controls how the entire project acts, why on earth would you pick one of the most critical components to skimp on? Seems like penny wise and pound foolish to me but it is your money and your project so I hope all turns out to your liking.
This is one of those things that definately could start heated arguments because both sides have valid points. Batch fire may not be optimal, but it certainly is capable of running an engine well. everything else in engine building is a compromise between cost, benefit, and performance so why would you not consider the reduced complexity and price of a batch fire system? there absolutely were OEM's that used a batch fire system, examples would be some of the Bosch Jetronic system as well as all of GM's TPI setups.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

jred wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:43 pm if your going to buy a MS2 3.0 don't forget the relay box also it makes the installation easier
I think ,,

I was able to source the harness cable and ends from a local electronic store used a 20 pair 16 or 18 gauge wire that it calls for in the manual.. My friend that helped me is using 8 ls coils on his MS2,, I went to a local water jet shop and had them water jet a 36-1 wheel that we machined the back of the damper and made a VR pickup bracket..

A place called the dub shop has a lot of items for your install and a website call www.shoptalkforums.com has a lot of info mostly used on VWs but can be used on your app also that's kind of the nice thing about ms stuff is that they show you how to use different items and how to wire them for your app and how to test the items with a volt/ohm meter,

like I said earler gm injectors with ford EDIS w/band O2 gm air and coolent sensors and a ford throttle p/s..

the guy that helps me out with mine said that I had about 90% of the stuff I needed laying around my shop.. are you doing a 300 ford 6 if so I could have a port fuel injection manifold that has a broken ear it would need to be tig welded.. let know if you need it
Yes, I’m building a Ford 300 - 6. I've been looking for a EFi core engine for the bits. They go cheap... when you’re not looking for one. I’ll make a lot of stuff, but at least a lower half EFI manifold would help.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

396monteSS wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 pm
This is one of those things that definately could start heated arguments because both sides have valid points. Batch fire may not be optimal, but it certainly is capable of running an engine well. everything else in engine building is a compromise between cost, benefit, and performance so why would you not consider the reduced complexity and price of a batch fire system? there absolutely were OEM's that used a batch fire system, examples would be some of the Bosch Jetronic system as well as all of GM's TPI setups.
Jetronic is a mechanical continuous injection system...they added some electronics towards the end (I had one of those) but it was just an electronic injector that added more fuel to the plenum for cold start. Definitely not what is normally called batch and its not even efi.

GM TPI, I don't know enough to comment other than its a very old system that never made much hp....like 84? I know Porsche and ferrari stuck to the Bosch CIS (jetronic) until like '89 and on the ferraris at least that was sequential fuel with waste spark.

There is no valid argument to running an obsolete fuel system on purpose unless you're doing a restoration......
Mark
Mechanical Engineer