Another how much HP with a twist....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Another how much HP with a twist....

Post by af2 »

I have not found anywhere how to calculate The Brick Aerodynamics of my 33 Willys Coupe to determine the HP from the MPH of 138 MPH. Just wondering since the 377 is coming out and replacing with a totally different set up. The 377 is going into the daughter in laws 57 Chevy. The 33 Willys weighs 2300 lbs. A pic so you can see the brick front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Re: Another how much HP with a twist....

Post by Ron E »

Small area, but bores a dirty hole in the air. You already know that.BUT, damn it looks good!
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

to get a good accurate estimate, id think you would need to know the drag coefficient of the car to do any real math on it. if it were me, id take a swag at it as 2-3mph slower than something like a vette or camaro etc.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

lefty o wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:06 pm to get a good accurate estimate, id think you would need to know the drag coefficient of the car to do any real math on it. if it were me, id take a swag at it as 2-3mph slower than something like a vette or camaro etc.
That was the Question and I think it way more than that... But I don't know and is the reason fore the post.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

af2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:11 pm
lefty o wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:06 pm to get a good accurate estimate, id think you would need to know the drag coefficient of the car to do any real math on it. if it were me, id take a swag at it as 2-3mph slower than something like a vette or camaro etc.
That was the Question and I think it way more than that... But I don't know and is the reason fore the post.
Wallace calculators has front end drag coefficient calculators.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Ron E wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:23 pm Small area, but bores a dirty hole in the air. You already know that.BUT, damn it looks good!
Thanks Ron! The hole bored is the reason for the post. My son and I built the chassis for his senior project in 2005 and have ran since 2006. Going faster as years go on.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

redliner wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:16 pm
af2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:11 pm
Wallace calculators has front end drag coefficient calculators.
I still can not figure it out. Oh well it is not a straight calculation.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Looking at 3' x 2' then 5'x 1' HMMMM? Total of 5' x 4' ? And Flat?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

af2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:31 pm Looking at 3' x 2' then 5'x 1' HMMMM? Total of 5' x 4' ? And Flat?
I think I estimated my flat nose 42 Stude to be about the same as a pickup
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Beautiful car!

There actually is a way to calculate drag coefficient fairly accurately by measuring coast down times...ie 100mph to 50 mph (or whatever you choose). We used to do this in advanced physics back in college...unfortunately that was about a million years ago and I have long since forgotten how to calculate it
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

travis wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:35 pm Beautiful car!

There actually is a way to calculate drag coefficient fairly accurately by measuring coast down times...ie 100mph to 50 mph (or whatever you choose). We used to do this in advanced physics back in college...unfortunately that was about a million years ago and I have long since forgotten how to calculate it
LOL Travis I never went to physics because the teacher was the most boring person you would meet.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

redliner wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:12 pm
af2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:31 pm Looking at 3' x 2' then 5'x 1' HMMMM? Total of 5' x 4' ? And Flat?
I think I estimated my flat nose 42 Stude to be about the same as a pickup
Did you come up with a formula? Thanks Adam
GURU is only a name.
Adam
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Ron E wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:23 pm Small area, but bores a dirty hole in the air. You already know that.BUT, damn it looks good!
It surely does!!!!!

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

af2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:12 pm I have not found anywhere how to calculate The Brick Aerodynamics of my 33 Willys Coupe to determine the HP from the MPH of 138 MPH. Just wondering since the 377 is coming out and replacing with a totally different set up. The 377 is going into the daughter in laws 57 Chevy. The 33 Willys weighs 2300 lbs. A pic so you can see the brick front.
The “brick front” isn’t necessarily bad, it’s the multiple different surfaces, and the overal height of the vehicle.

Plenty of drag under the car too.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

David Vizard wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:02 pm
It surely does!!!!!

DV
Gees Thanks My son and I appreciate the kind words! Coming from David
and Ron is awesome I will let Nick know! So how do we calculate the drag?
GURU is only a name.
Adam