Emulsion well fuel level vs airflow

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Pablo

Emulsion well fuel level vs airflow

Post by Pablo »

Hello all,

I was looking at this chart of emulsion bleed effect on afr vs airflow and a few things struck me.

The first is that carb size vs engine demand would easily move these curves right or left. I.e., a carb too small would only have a small range of operation before emulsion bleeds had no effect or a carb too large may potentially never get out of the airflow range influenced by emulsion bleeds.

This seems to basically reflect when the emulsion well fuel level reaches its lowest level.

With that said, on combinations with an optimally sized 4150 style carb for the power being produced, with a typical "stock" emulsion package, what airflow range would emulsion package cease to affect the fuel curve?

In other words, what is the airflow range when the emulsion well fuel level reaches its lowest level? Does the emulsion bleed effect on a 4150 mimic what is presented in the chart airflow wise?

Is there a desired airflow range for this effect to be limited to?

It would seem that an undersized or oversized carb would need the emulsion tuned to compensate for this.

Finally, has anyone devised a method of determining the fuel level in the emulsion well during carb operation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pablo on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo

Re: Emulsion well fuel level vs airflow

Post by Pablo »

CarterHendricks

Post by CarterHendricks »

Can you post the source of the chart, and the referenced diagram for hole locations etc?

--Carter
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I will have to do some searching to find an image of the entire page. I saw it posted only once but this snip is floating around in multiple locations.
As you might have already known, a and b are bleeds in the emulsion well. I'm unsure of the type of carb this data was taken from however.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

CarterHendricks wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:08 pm Can you post the source of the chart, and the referenced diagram for hole locations etc?

--Carter
Second post in this thread has a description of E-bleed behavior. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/racingf ... g-t42.html

The chart is from "Internal Combustion Engines" by Edward F. Obert