Real Budget Vortec Engine build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

randy331
Guru
Guru

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by randy331 »

Is this one headed to the dyno before SN ?
Be interesting to test a nicely ported set of vortecs against the current heads.

Randy
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

CGT wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 am Anyone here messed with a Pro Products Vortec manifold?
When i used the Hurricane 10 or so years ago it was nice. The 331 is still going strong in the exes Jeep.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Resized_20181126_212858.jpg
Its shoved aside for now. Trying to schedule SN dyno time and finishing overflowz. But dyno time is supposedly 'guaranteed' on the vortec rebuild. We will see. Unfinished engine alley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

af2 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm When i used the Hurricane 10 or so years ago it was nice. The 331 is still going strong in the exes Jeep.
Cool. Thanks for the input. How's your engine coming along? Aren't you in the process of doing something different? 377 inch?
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:05 pm Be interesting to test a nicely ported set of vortecs against the current heads.
If you got a set, I'll dyno them against these. These are still untouched minus VJ. You could use a break from lugging that Big Block crap around anyway! :lol:
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

CGT wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 am
af2 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm When i used the Hurricane 10 or so years ago it was nice. The 331 is still going strong in the exes Jeep.
Cool. Thanks for the input. How's your engine coming along? Aren't you in the process of doing something different? 377 inch?
Gathering parts now for the Rodeck 402 build thanks.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

CGT wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:56 am
randy331 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:05 pm Be interesting to test a nicely ported set of vortecs against the current heads.
If you got a set, I'll dyno them against these. These are still untouched minus VJ. You could use a break from lugging that Big Block crap around anyway! :lol:
I have just one set of factory vortecs here right now. A set I picked up for a decent price, and so far only hot tanked, crack checked, pressure tested.
No porting yet.

Got a lot of the parts for a tow engine and was thinkin about using them on it.
Got several of the roller cam blocks, several dual plane intakes, lots of valves I could cut down and use, several sets of springs to choose from, a GM hyd roller marine cam I think it's 213* ish at .050", this set of 062 vortecs,
I'd like to find a set of Honda journal, or 2" journal rods that have been cycled out of some race engine for it so I can put a 3.75 stroke in it and not have to clearence anything, (or much).

Randy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Arn't most 2" rods the same rod with a smaller hole?

The ones I have used were. Crower, Skat and Eagle.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Alot of them are. But that seems to be getting better amongst the cheaper rods. Its easy to spot in the catalog when the honda journal rod is heavier than the standard journal rod.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Comstar rods have the bolts moved inboard so they have more clearance. that's why they clear standard base circle cam with a 3.875 stroke.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Hmmm... For best joint integrity, the bolts should be as far inboard as possible; there oughtn't be much scope for further shifting them. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

MadBill wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 pm Hmmm... For best joint integrity, the bolts should be as far inboard as possible; there oughtn't be much scope for further shifting them. :-k
But none of this matters to the makers of a lower end rod.
I had this same discussion with K1 when I was looking for a small journal rod that wasn't just a smaller hole in the same rod.

Buyer beware.

Several of us automatic drag race guys have had that same conversation about bolt together torque convertors.

Randy
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

randy331 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:59 pm
MadBill wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 pm Hmmm... For best joint integrity, the bolts should be as far inboard as possible; there oughtn't be much scope for further shifting them. :-k
But none of this matters to the makers of a lower end rod.
I had this same discussion with K1 when I was looking for a small journal rod that wasn't just a smaller hole in the same rod.

Buyer beware.

Several of us automatic drag race guys have had that same conversation about bolt together torque convertors.

Randy
What's wong with a 1.88" rod with a 2.1" bolt spacing?? What? Are you trying to run a 4" stroke and expect to miss the cam?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

A rod with a smaller hole in it has no advantage I know of. Overall it means your crank is weaker, yet whole thing is just as heavy. Shortest distance between two points is straightest line, although it's a circle, same deal.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Getting closer to budget dyno day for this engine AKA (DALE) ...any new predictions?

af2 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:24 am Gathering parts now for the Rodeck 402 build thanks.
How's the 402 coming along?