Going to a different cam

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

Going to a different cam

Post by oldhead »

I was wondering if I added 6 more degrees or dropped 6 how much RPM would max. HP. would change? SBC-400 8 to 1 comp,300-235 heads,800 cfm carb,248-260 at .050 114 cl.,making 470 hp at 6250 rpm.Unblown of course...I WANT TO THANK THE GUYS THAT ANSWERED LAST TIME. OLDHEAD
Quicker then most
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Going to a different cam

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

With the cam you got, reset the valve lash about .008" tighter than its set now and go for a ride or go to the strip and test.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Why such low compression?
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

its always blown,sometimes 26# Oldhead
Quicker then most
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

especially if you only have 8 to 1 compression the cam needs to be tightened up to atleast 108 or 106 . that and the duration needs to be reduced a bunch. how do you only have 8 to 1? is this a blower motor?
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

I am sorry,you didn't understand, I just said "Blown" . That means supercharged. thank you Oldhead
Quicker then most
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

all i saw was"unblown ofcourse" ignore everything i said
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

259 veiws and still no real help. Where did all the smart guys go ? Oldhead PS: Big Joe is with GOD now
Quicker then most
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

Well, your original post was a little confusing and your question wasn't worded too well. You have a blower motor, but state the horsepower as "unblown of course". That's going to make it hard for most guys to answer.

That out of the way, I would say 6 degrees duration equals 300 rpm. Of course that is a very general statement, especially considering your engine is not run of the mill by any means.

JMO,

paulie
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Please post non-confusing correct kings english descriptions and details so most of us can understand what you are trying to do!

If Joe Sherman was still on this site with us he would be asking you to do the same. :!:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I would have guessed 200 to 250rpm but you not going to find many people posting on line that have ever dyno tested a 6 degree cam change, me included.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

Newold1 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:17 pm Please post non-confusing correct kings english descriptions and details so most of us can understand what you are trying to do!

If Joe Sherman was still on this site with us he would be asking you to do the same. :!:
What is not kings english ? I am trying what 6 degrees do in max. power RPM....Isn't that what I asked ? Oldhead
Quicker then most
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

GARY C wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:29 pm I would have guessed 200 to 250rpm but you not going to find many people posting on line that have ever dyno tested a 6 degree cam change, me included.
If you changed any degrees how many RPM the maxium power RPM go up???? Oldhead
Quicker then most
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

oldhead wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 pm
GARY C wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:29 pm I would have guessed 200 to 250rpm but you not going to find many people posting on line that have ever dyno tested a 6 degree cam change, me included.
If you changed any degrees how many RPM the maxium power RPM go up???? Oldhead
I have never tested that, for what it's worth, here is a test with a 222, a 234 and a 248.
https://youtu.be/rJNsZrNz_Y4?t=452
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

oldhead wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 pm I was wondering if I added 6 more degrees or dropped 6 how much RPM would max. HP. would change? SBC-400 8 to 1 comp,300-235 heads,800 cfm carb,248-260 at .050 114 cl.,making 470 hp at 6250 rpm.Unblown of course...I WANT TO THANK THE GUYS THAT ANSWERED LAST TIME. OLDHEAD
If this is a forced induction engine ( blown) it seems to me you want to change the LSA to reduce the overlap.
if the overlap is lets say 100 degrees and you reduce it to 75 degrees you will not loose so much cylinder pressure during the overlap period of the cam timing. While it is possible to increase or decrease the cam timing 6 degrees and keep the same LSA you may just make things worse not better or no change at all.

Based on the current cam spec you have above I would try something with maybe 116 or 117 just to try to keep what you pumped in there to stay there.

That said if it is not forced induction then I would tighten up the LSA rather then adding more @50 timing or reducing same.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors