700 RWHP with stock manifolds!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MichaelThompson
Re: 700 RWHP with stock manifolds!

Post by MichaelThompson »

The problem with the 385 series Ford’s is that Ford never put much of a carburetor on them. Seems like it’d be awful tough to match a dual 4 barrel Hemi.

If only Ford had built one model with a Dominator which was developed by Holley and Ford for NASCAR Boss 429’s or maybe equipped one engine from the factory with the Autolite inline 4 barrels. Ford was really cutting edge with carburation at that time but never offered a street version which kills it for the F.A.S.T. Series.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

This car is said to have turned a high 9's....A little wheelie with stock suspension and bald Wide Oval's..

Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

that is impressive, hooked up on tires like that
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

The Super CJ's had 780 Holleys but nothing like the
hemi cars dual quads
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I think the real message for this FAST class racing is that a race car is a total system of all kinds of parts, actions and performance that can produce some pretty exciting results. One just has to spend a boat load of time, money and an unending attention to details to get there. I think using that philosophy in almost any form of racing produces great performance and WINS! =D>
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:04 pm I think the real message for this FAST class racing is that a race car is a total system of all kinds of parts, actions and performance that can produce some pretty exciting results. One just has to spend a boat load of time, money and an unending attention to details to get there. I think using that philosophy in almost any form of racing produces great performance and WINS! =D>
Your right.

Ever since I first heard of this type of racing I loved it because I was always a low key sleeper kind of guy.

a couple years ago I started a build for the F.A.S.T. Series. I'm not building it for fun, I'm building it to be competitive.

Costs can get out of control in a hurry with rules like this...the labour alone can be astronomical.

My build has to run a cast iron intake..a very restrictive low rise dual plane 80lb pig. At this point it's 35lbs, still looks completely stock with the factory correct numbers etc. I probably have over a hundred hours of flow bench time into it.

Similar time into the exhaust manifolds...factory block, the body shell, frame , diff, axles, drive shaft, suspension parts...every single piece, nut and bolt gets scrutinized.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:04 pm I think the real message for this FAST class racing is that a race car is a total system of all kinds of parts, actions and performance that can produce some pretty exciting results. One just has to spend a boat load of time, money and an unending attention to details to get there. I think using that philosophy in almost any form of racing produces great performance and WINS! =D>
So it's money rich formula racing or another type of bracket racing... Nascar with no internal engine restrictions..Not something for the average racer..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

Truckedup wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:29 am
So it's money rich formula racing or another type of bracket racing... Nascar with no internal engine restrictions..Not something for the average racer..
I do think being a truly competitive F.A.S.T. racer is out of the reach of most people, including me. I don't have enough knowledge and/or money. Still, I enjoy being a spectator in this case. It is cool as hell, in my opinion. I would love to drive around a 9 second stock looking Roadrunner or Mustang and destroy a million dollar supercar, at least in a straight quarter mile blast.

JMO,

paulie
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

plovett wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:24 am
Truckedup wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:29 am
I do think being a truly competitive F.A.S.T. racer is out of the reach of most people, including me. I don't have enough knowledge and/or money. Still, I enjoy being a spectator in this case. It is cool as hell, in my opinion. I would love to drive around a 9 second stock looking Roadrunner or Mustang and destroy a million dollar supercar, at least in a straight quarter mile blast.

JMO,

paulie
Yeah, with a "vintage" muscle car costing as much as the Supercar and without the supercar handling,top speed and likely better fuel mileage...LOL. However the FAST cars are interesting for sure and do require thinking and innovation
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

"stock appearing" is only as restrictive as you wallet lets it be. Back when NASCAR had to run "Stock appearing" intake manifolds,they were all cut apart, welded and ported. The Dodge manifold had 9 pounds of welding rod(aluminum) used on it, and the finished piece was a ton better then what they started with, but it looked "stock". on the outside. I'm sure the top guys in this class, are doing the same thing. I bet if you measured those "stock appearing" exhaust ans intake manifolds, you would find places where they were an inch taller or an inch wider on the outside.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

the more restrictive the rules the more money it takes to be competitive in the class.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

steve316 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 am the more restrictive the rules the more money it takes to be competitive in the class.
Always.
There are very,very few "Cost Cutting" rules, that don't increase the cost of being competitive.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

The FAST class actually got started out of the Pure Stock Drags by a couple guys who were pushing the rules running as far as cams and cubes and other things. Guess you could call it Pure Stock looking Pro Stock! I went to one of the first races they had in Bristol Tenn. back in 2001 and had a blast!
Dave Dudeck was running his Plum Crazy 1970 Hemi Challenger at that time.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Like anything it's horses for courses, IMO fast is one of the coolest forms of drag racing. Yes in is all about dollars, but the basic limitations make that dollar value development look great. This is not about affording the best and latest cnc cookie cutter part available, in is about spending time, money and development within some fairly basic limitations and making the best of them. Lots of the parts these guys use are stuff that 25 yrs back was tossed in the bin as it wasnt good enough for a 14 second streeter!!
Craig.
HiPer Express

Post by HiPer Express »

steve316 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 am that is impressive, hooked up on tires like that
some magazine article said those reproduction tyres have much softer compound than originals.