ExtrudeHone - who here's used their services?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

ExtrudeHone - who here's used their services?

Post by PackardV8 »

Only after hijacking another thread, I realized I should have started a new one on ExtrudeHone.

Some of you here have heard the legend of Smokey Yunick using a grout pump and concrete slurry to port a Hudson Hornet flathead six-cylinder; this was in 1952 or so. What was old is new again and again.

Speaking of stock cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds; I've heard third-hand some of the F.A.S.T.est guys have spent $10,000 with ExtrudeHone.

FWIW, back when it was the NEW THING, I spent $750 having ExtrudeHone shine up the interior of a cast iron V8 intake and saw very little horsepower increase. Who here's done it with cast iron and what were your results? How much did you spend and what were the cost/benefits?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: ExtrudeHone - who here's used their services?

Post by pdq67 »

Never used it.

But if I was to want to help flow out in cast-iron parts, I would probably go to, "Brezinski", or however the name is spelled.

Oh, and I figure that you will get the same results by making a closed loop sandblast set-up and use, "Black Beauty", as the sand blast media.

Just mount the end of the material hose to the port and then catch the blast media as it comes out and then recirculate it. Probably get by with a 175 cfm portable air compressor? Just throttle both the air and the blast media to control the process.

pdq67
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Syclone and Typhoon owners used it in the 2000's on their stock turbo exhaust manifolds as there weren't many options for headers at the time. And the ones that were available were stupid expensive.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

FWIW, SLP included ExtrudeHoned exhaust manifolds in the Camaro SS package they offered through GM dealers circa the early nineties...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

a friend danny yanda was a engineer at extridehone in Irwin pa when ford was having intake manifolds done. ford must have seen some improvement
GOSFAST
Expert
Expert

Post by GOSFAST »

Hi Jack, have used "Extrudehone" a few times, works really well but will not change/reshape the actual area being done. You need to have the correct shape going in, then the media will simply "make it bigger".

This method works well on items like the old Flathead blocks where porting (exhaust ports) by hand is next to impossible and very dangerous with respect to hitting water!

(Add) It is NOT inexpensive, at least it wasn't back when!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. For obvious reasons it is extremely popular with many of the F.A.S.T class racers! More recently we had a set of 429" Ford (exh) manifolds done, also for a F.A.S.T. class ride!!
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I tried it many years ago when they first started doing it. I had them do a small long runner aluminum intake that we could not effectively reach in far enough to port open so more area in the middle of the runner. The engine was dynoed before that work and after and the small amount of material they were able to remove other than some smoothing did not even measure what we considered a real net increase in power! It cost a damn fortune even in those days and I never used it again. We took another duplicate manifold and sectioned the top off and hand ported it, welded it back together and picked up a sizeable increase in power we were looking for.

Moral of this story: If you have a hard to reach part needing porting or smoothing and it's aluminum, cut it open, port it and weld it back together.

If you have an iron part that needs improving, buy the aluminum replacement and do the hand work on that or replace it with a new better working aluminum piece.. JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

What about filling up the inside with an acid solution as a lower cost alternative?

paulie
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Even though it's often called dumb porting that stuff works exactly as advertised on size/volume restricted applications! If the engine doesn't pick up then you simply calculated something wrong for the combinations airflow requirements, haven't retuned for the added airflow, and/or simply don't have enough cam to really see it.

Posters above are right on target.. many OEM's have used them in the past and they do composites too. My neigbor has a Ford Contour SVT that comes stock with it and you can clearly see and feel the results. You tell them what you want and they run putty long enough to make it happen. Then the'll switch over to a finer putty to fully polish everything if you require it. Used it on foreign hotrods and musclecar inductions(last one was SBC rpm air-gap, let's see ya cut and reweld that one! LOL).. not supposed to be like adding a supercharger but that stuff just plain works to maximize any restricted application. When volume is too small and velocity is too high.. that stuff kinda seems like a no brainer. Ideally you shape and size everything you can reach and then let the putty do the remaining area's you can't reach. I call it, "semi-dumb porting". :idea:
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

You can make two cross cuts across and SBC & BBC air gaps and expose both upper and lower ports planes just fine.
Measure areas and transitions as needed, do your porting and weld it right back up.
Actually done two that way in the wayback days.
"Nothing is impossible, it just tales a little longer"!

For the pricing and uncontrolled results I would sure call it "Dumb Porting" ! JMHO
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Read me again up above!

pdq67
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

after hand porting extrude hone can make it look more like as cast
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Newold1 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:51 pm I tried it many years ago when they first started doing it. I had them do a small long runner aluminum intake that we could not effectively reach in far enough to port open so more area in the middle of the runner. The engine was dynoed before that work and after and the small amount of material they were able to remove other than some smoothing did not even measure what we considered a real net increase in power! It cost a damn fortune even in those days and I never used it again. We took another duplicate manifold and sectioned the top off and hand ported it, welded it back together and picked up a sizeable increase in power we were looking for.

Moral of this story: If you have a hard to reach part needing porting or smoothing and it's aluminum, cut it open, port it and weld it back together.

If you have an iron part that needs improving, buy the aluminum replacement and do the hand work on that or replace it with a new better working aluminum piece.. JMHO
IMG_0626(1).jpg
Even all cut up some can be a real challenge!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Not familiar with the application, but with a simple look at the Port connections between the two flanges and the lack of too much complexity I would use a simple new fabrication of aluminum tubing between two new flat plate aluminum pieces. The tubing could be easily sized and even bent slightly for shift. Sometimes a new fabricated part can perform and be less costly than trying to make a difficult cast part better. That's what my comments are meant to convey, but not in every situation.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Used to be popular in the TPI days, never heard of SLP using it on Camaros?

Seems like a lot of work/$ for a small improvement but some pieces you just cant port so you either pony up or dont.

Trying to picture some guy pumping cement through any manifold...lol what a mess .