487X heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
487X heads

Post by travis »

Would these be a decent choice for a low $$$ 350-400hp street engine?

I’ve been dragging this things around for close to 25 years :roll: Iirc, they are 176-177cc on the intake ports, with the biggest bowls I’ve ever seen on a set of factory heads. All I’ve done to them was blend the bowls and clean up the ports. They need valves, and machined for screw in studs...they are still 1.94/1.50’s but the seats are shot so they will need cut for bigger valves. I’ve already got valves, studs, guideplates, springs, etc...the machine shop quoted me $400 for guides, hardened exhaust seats, etc.

I know the chambers are more detonation prone, but with a small .100” dome I can get 9.75-1 compression which should be doable on pump gas.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: 487X heads

Post by Alaskaracer »

They had their day, and it's long gone. You're better off getting a brand new set of more current heads. You'd also be way ahead in performance. If you were doing a project that required numbers matching or a nostalgia thing, they would be fine. But not worth putting the money into in my opinion.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

With the large chambers they are better used on a low budget supercharged 350 motor project with dished pistons.
For n/a you'd be better off selling or trading them for a 64 cc hi perf casting for a flat top 350 project.

Potential sale for a superstock builder that needs stock castings.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

In terms of iron heads you can pick up a rebuilt set of Vortec heads and be ahead of the game in terms of power.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

X4
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:05 am Potential sale for a superstock builder that needs stock castings.
And for circle track guys running under "cost saving" rules.
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

Buy a new set of EQ heads. Much better quality and performance and probably cheaper then fixing those.
ch350I is 76cc chamber updated copy of a 441 head.
CH350H is a 64 cc chamber hybrid head that uses all old style bolt on stuff with Vortec style chamber.
CH350C is a Vortec style head and is much better then a factory GM vortec head.
All of these are a little under $300 each for a brand new head.
I have all above on the shelf if you choose to go this route.