Intake valve job causing high-lift stall / drop-off?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Re: Intake valve job causing high-lift stall / drop-off?

Post by JoePorting »

A high lift CFM drop-off is usually caused from a high floor or conservative SSR. If you cut down the floor by .025" and see a rise in CFM, then you know you're going in the right direction. If you cut back the SSR and see another rise in flow, then you know that's the issue too. If the flow numbers don't change or go down, then that's not an issue.
Joe Facciano
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:47 pm
GARY C wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:37 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:59 pm Does improving the chamber for flow improve it for combustion?

It’s not a one way street..
Hard to say without dyno testing but it would tell you if that part of the chamber was the cause.
It just seems to me chasing chamber shape on the flow bench is a not seeing the forest for the trees :?
Just something to learn on what effects what, interestingly a past EMC winner told me of a test with 2 sets of heads one with a heart shaped chamber and the other was older style like a Sportsman II all other things being equal they made the same power at the same timing and a lot of stuff being done now with soft chambers or full dish pistons that eliminate the quench make me wonder what is the best chamber design.

If chamber work increases flow and then that leads to more power then it would be worth it, even if it decreased power then you would learn if it worked or didn't.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Joe porting, you entered the words..... A high lift CFM drop off is usually caused by a HIGH floor or............would you please explain in detail what you mean by HIGH floor :?: Mark H.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

EDIT: to above, caused "FROM" not BY .
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I'm saying the floor of the intake port is too high causing the high speed air to pull off the SSR area and cut across the bowl area cutting off the SSR area.
Joe Facciano
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Thanks Joe for the clarification, I guess cylinder heads that flow a LOT of air, and make LOT of power, and have an intake port that is raised a LOT, were (designed in such a way) that your mentioned air flow problem does NOT happen :?: Mark H.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

GARY C wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:42 pm interestingly a past EMC winner told me of a test with 2 sets of heads one with a heart shaped chamber and the other was older style like a Sportsman II all other things being equal they made the same power at the same timing
Not sure I'd believe those EMC winners !
I know one that claims they had a head that flowed more and had more "port energy" but made LESS power and score !!!

I mean we all know that ain't possible .. :^o

Randy
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

I have always wondered about those EMC guys myself.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Good grief, Randy. How long are you going to keep trying to pick a fight on the internet?
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:31 am Thanks Joe for the clarification, I guess cylinder heads that flow a LOT of air, and make LOT of power, and have an intake port that is raised a LOT, were (designed in such a way) that your mentioned air flow problem does NOT happen :?: Mark H.
I don't believe that's what he's saying. You can have a raised port head but the port floor is to high causing problems at high lift.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

RevTheory wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:00 am Good grief, Randy. How long are you going to keep trying to pick a fight on the internet?
Are you stating that your opposed to testing that doesnt match your own beliefs? Im confused
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

PRH wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:30 pm...

Since the head that has very little done to the chamber, and has nothing unusual done with the valve job....... doesn’t have the flow regression issue...... it would stand to reason it’s the combination of the way the chambers are done along with the valve job that’s allowing it to happen with those other heads.

That makes the most sense at this point. My "crash test dummy" head also has the same valve seat config as the 72 cc Victors, and with less chamber work done by hand, didn't have the .700"+ issue on 2 of 3 test ports. Even with the 1 test port that I thought I was doing the short turn incorrectly, it only dropped off about 2 CFM between .700 & .750, not 10-ish like the Victors.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

randy331 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:46 am
GARY C wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:42 pm interestingly a past EMC winner told me of a test with 2 sets of heads one with a heart shaped chamber and the other was older style like a Sportsman II all other things being equal they made the same power at the same timing
I know one that claims they had a head that flowed more and had more "port energy" but made LESS power and score !!!

Randy
I don't believe you so I guess I don't believe all of them but that has nothing to do with you being on an EMC team, it has to do with you misleading people with your posts.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Randy
Didn't Jon Kasse win the EMC one year with his cam's ICL set at less than 100? So how many people have ever ran a cam degreed there?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Stan Weiss wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Randy
Didn't Jon Kasse win the EMC one year with his cam's ICL set at less than 100? So how many people have ever ran a cam degreed there?

Stan
Ive had quite a few there back in the Ultradyne days.