Re: EQ Head ?????

Post by 88bluestar »

With my combo what cfm do I need? I was thinking between 240-250cfm
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

You should have 260-275 cfm if you really want to maximise those heads on a strong running 358. The 1.95" intake will make that a tough place to get to!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

What makes more sense as far as mid range torque, 2.02 or 2.00. The heads I previously had on it were Vortec Bow tie large runner heads with roughly 215 to 220cc runners 202/160 valves and a 252/255 4/7 cam at 108(4 degrees advanced, but flat had no torque and required excessive gearing to remotely compete with the top 3 cars.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

When you brought up the large bowtie vortecs before, I recommended that you call Mike Jones for a cam. Did you do that?
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 pm When you brought up the large bowtie vortecs before, I recommended that you call Mike Jones for a cam. Did you do that?
Well?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Yes. He recommended the cam I’ve posted but he said the head is too big.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

88bluestar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:15 pm Yes. He recommended the cam I’ve posted but he said the head is too big.
The rules are wide open on the heads, you can 10:1 compression, but the front runners have almost stock CH350C heads?

I can tell you the CH350C’s (un-ported because of rules) were front runners and the guy was teched all the time, but that was a 2/5 mile dirt track. I’d have to look up the cam. It was a Mike Jones, I think in the 230’s,maybe 240, .500 lift, 106 or maybe 108.
If that works for you...
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

The way I'm gathering is both the C and H have similar characteristics, show the same flow info on the aamidwest(eq website), of course having different intake patterns might make them different. I really don't want to do much to them other than match up with a victor jr or super victor(with plenum work). best valve job possible, eliminate any flow restriction when the valve opens i.e. clean path off the valve seat. The large vortec port on the left, eq 350h on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

I can measure the ex port etc when I get off work.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Going with 2.02/1.60 valves. 2925 SV intake.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

It's basically a vortec head copy in the chamber, they raised the intake floor and roof and kept the intake cc'c down from the big port vortec for what looks to be increased intake port velocity. Exhaust port seems to be raised some and bigger than a stock vortec head.

With your selected valve sizes a good head man should be able to get your flow numbers up in the .500" lift area to those you will need to see good power at 6800 rpms.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Having talked to a few head porters. 2925 is the best option, with slight port match although I’ve been told the match isn’t critical port on outboard sides is what shows when they are bolted up. Plan to gradually just roll it back and leave a little bit to keep velocity up. Opinions on what valve job angles work best with our cam and rpm rules? Figure a 5 angle per my head builder had suggested but want opinions just to see what the overall feeling is. These are Ferrea 5000 series valves by the way. Was planning to clean the plenum entries on the 2925 on the roof of the inside ports, clean and radius it but not go over board opening them a lot. Focused on mid range
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Newold1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:34 pm It's basically a vortec head copy in the chamber, they raised the intake floor and roof and kept the intake cc'c down from the big port vortec for what looks to be increased intake port velocity. Exhaust port seems to be raised some and bigger than a stock vortec head.

With your selected valve sizes a good head man should be able to get your flow numbers up in the .500" lift area to those you will need to see good power at 6800 rpms.
I’m told these are 176cc runners as cast
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

88bluestar wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:36 pm Having talked to a few head porters. 2925 is the best option, with slight port match although I’ve been told the match isn’t critical port on outboard sides is what shows when they are bolted up. Plan to gradually just roll it back and leave a little bit to keep velocity up. Opinions on what valve job angles work best with our cam and rpm rules? Figure a 5 angle per my head builder had suggested but want opinions just to see what the overall feeling is. These are Ferrea 5000 series valves by the way. Was planning to clean the plenum entries on the 2925 on the roof of the inside ports, clean and radius it but not go over board opening them a lot. Focused on mid range
bluestar,
those heads will need some work like all as cast heads,they stall at .500'' lift,and the # go down from there,thats no good.
i understand you are on a budget like the rest of us,but bolting on a intake manifold that is 1.28'' x 2.25 onto a 176 cc port is a decent miss match surely.
i have a super victor manifold and it fits my dart 215 heads as cast.
Newold,John,Eric,Larry M have all put up some good information,i remember your other thread,was there any talk of epoxy those bigger heads down in CSA in the runner back to around 200cc which might work ??
i personally cant see how your engine would make good power if the heads were not corrected for your application,a good valve job is a start but working out your minimum cross section (pinch or valve throat) and working your average CSA through the entire intake tract as an example,unless you can do the heads yourself it will cost money for a good head porter.
this is just my opinion,hope it works out for the best
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"