Camshaft selection

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Gen 1 SBC
Camshaft selection

Post by Gen 1 SBC »

Running 11:6 C.R. in a 357" SBC Gen 1, Brodix Aluminum 200 cc heads not CNC'd. Dual plane air gap style trick flow brand intake, 5.7 rod length, KB Hyper Pistons, I'll be running a track style race carb 650 cfm no accessories on engine just water pump and alternator only. TH 350 Trans 3500 stall, manual shift, 4:56 gears 29" tall tire. The cam I chose is a Isky Hyd 292. 106 lsa 510 lift .340 lobes, Its advertised as 505 lift with . It's advertised with .337 lobes but when I check it measures .340 with 1.5 gives me .510 dur @ 0.050 244/244 if I tune it right this combo should be pretty good for torque right? Its a single pattern circle track grind. Installed straight up the intake cl is 101 degree ext 111 degrees it is 5 degrees advanced adv RPM 2800-7000. I won't ever get to 7000 maybe 6200 or so, 3500 lbs guess weight. Questions Torque good ? H.P. estimate at flywheel 475 or so is this close ? Can I run a DUI type ignition ? Is cam cam choice pretty good ? It will be Feb or so before I fire it off. Still need to build a test stand. I do have the chassis tied to the body with a 10 point bar struts to the front frame because it is a sub frame 70 Camaro, Street and car show fun I don't have a trailer to get the track yet. I'm glad I found good site with very experienced professionals who have been there and done that, The pumps around here all carry 93 octane and I'm close to sunnoco so I can always pick up a 5 gal pale of higher octane if needed.I did have the bottom end balanced with flywheel and balancer, I have built SBC in the past but this one I took the next level at least for my abilities, Thanks for your input
Gen 1 SBC
Re: Camshaft selection

Post by Gen 1 SBC »

Camshaft Info for Isky.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

You sound like a young guy just diving in to the hobby. Sounds like a fun build and a cool car. There are lots of ways it could make more power but id suggest to run it and have fun and learn as you go. Change one thing at a time to see what works and what doesn't. Your build isn't much different than my first semi - serious sbc build. You have to start somewhere and thats as good as any. Let us know how it goes including your ET's and MPH when you start hitting the track.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

I'd want to know why Isky wants it 5 degrees ahead. Also, degree the cam. Never assume dot to dot is even close.

I've used that cam many times. In at 106 they barely made power to 6500. In at 101 I'd think at 6000 you'd be done and drinking a beer.
Gen 1 SBC

Post by Gen 1 SBC »

Well I degreed the cam several different times and it checked out for duration and lobe cl angle right on the money. And I thought it made sense to allow some for chain stretch. And besides most cams are built with 4 degrees advance. I may be off 1/2 degree or so. But I do like beer.
Gen 1 SBC

Post by Gen 1 SBC »

Thanks man, a young guy well I'm a over a 1/2 way to 100, but it's all good sometime it catches up to ya.