Performance in 2019 BIG 3 trucks !

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Performance in 2019 BIG 3 trucks !

Post by Newold1 »

I am not about to pull a trailer around on some of these Northeast horse trail roads when it's snowing or sleet with black ice. I might be sometimes dumb, but I am not stupid!
If you've never tried that up here in winter ,you're missing some "cutting washers" moments!! :shock:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:51 pm Why don't you just buy a 2 to 3 year old low mileage 3/4 ton what ever until you get your battery operated silent truck and save a bunch ? Mark H. :D
Thats what I would do, the depreciation of a new one is a big lose.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

SupStk wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:06 pm Last year went through the same deal. Needed a HD pickup for towing and a slide in pickup camper. Don't put a large number of miles on in a year and didn't want to spend a fortune. Looked around for a 3/4 or one ton that was maybe 3-5 years old with under 75,000 miles. Good luck with that, most all were diesels with 100k+ Miles and over $50k. Checked out the big three since I really don't have a brand preference.
Ended up ordering a new Ford Super Duty XL super cab 4x4 with 6.2 gas, optional 4.30 gears, electronic locker, camper package, skid plates, inverter, and the XL value package. After incentives it came in at $36,250.
No gas mileage champ but does 18 mpg on the highway and a little over 14 around town. Towing a 18,000 lb. loaded dump trailer in the hills it makes 8.5 mpg and does a decent job dragging it around.
May not be everyone's choice but think I could live with it for for the next 10 years.
You stole that thing. Around here that is $70k or more, easily.

Maybe it’s different well outside the big cities, but around the Dallas area, no dealer carries “work” trucks or base models. When I ask them why, the answer is always the same...they don’t sell. They can order them for you if you wanted to go that route. But, like the others said, you’ll eat the instant depreciation unless you plan on keeping it for many years.

90% of the people around here that drive the big decked out trucks, could easily get by with half the vehicle...but that’s not what they want.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

A good friend recently bought a low mileage 2015 Ford 3/4 Ton to replace his 05 Powerstroke...The 2015 is a gas engine 4 door long box, not a top of the line truck...I have no idea what engine it is, 6.2?.. I have to say the truck drives nicely but it it slow..Big noise, lots of shifting but not much go... Ford dealer says it runs fine...He tows a pound mini excavator on a two axle pintle hook trailer, probably about 11,000 pounds..It tows the load ok if you're not in a hurry..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

I drive a current-gen Chevy Colorado. If you look at it parked side-by-side next to a '70s GM truck, it's almost as big as the full-size used to be. Mine is a crew cab, so it has the shorter bed, but it's big enough for anything I need to haul. My only complaint is that it is too damn tall. It would be much easier to load stuff if the tailgate wasn't so high off the ground.

The size of the new full-size trucks is ridiculous, IMO.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Can you lay a 4 foot wide piece of building material flat on the floor of the bed?...I had a 68 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 short that I sold a few years ago..According to GM and the scrap yard scale, it weighed 3750 pounds. Three men can sit in the front seat, 4 foot wood wide material fit in the bed..Compared to a modern truck, it was stone age but got the job done more slowly with discomfort compared to newer trucks
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I miss my 482 cu in 500+ hp 74 pickup I had till the gas crunch in the 80s. blowing off corvettes at the red light with 2 dirt bikes or a snowmobile in the bed for traction was fun. :D at 85 my reflexes are not good enought to drive a pickup that could light up the tires at 60 MPH .
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

As I had mentioned earlier, it's the mileage of these new trucks that get me. I don't necessarily like the Cafe standards and EPA regulations especially the quantity of ridiculous regulations that keep those "Gravy Train" workers on almost day long coffee breaks in those big federal office buildings with our taxes funding their non-work jobs! However its a LAW and we are supposed to be applying and enforcing. With this system of energy credits buyback and the lack of a real mileage improvement commitment on the part of the auto and truck makers we have and continue to make some good strides in regular sedans and coupes while the mileage improvements being delivered in trucks is slogging along like a turtle in the mud!

The automakers are capitalizing on two big situations.

1. They can seem to deliver and fudge on mileage standards and put off making REAL improvements with energy credits and having the EPA suspiciously always seem to have grossly better mileage estimates than the huge majority of owners can ever achieve! Can you say "Get out of Jail Free Card!

2. Why do you think automakers support the idea of these metal monster trucks and SUV's. Because they can price and get much higher prices and profit and it is easier to use the system and deliver vehicles that have a much easier time not truly meeting what the standards should be as a percentage of what has been accomplished in the sedan and compact markets. I think many of us here especially with the engine knowledge know truck engines INCLUDING DIESELS can be developed that will have significant mileage improvements . Intermediate diesel truck mileage has actually receded in the last 5 years and those who owned the earlier engined trucks and now the newer ones know this!

The biggest gains can and should be made using the frontal area decreases, weight reductions, closing undersides with snap on snap off underbody aero plates, etc. Bottom line is if the truck makers don't have to hit a better high mark, they won't!

I know there is little pressure on this truck mileage truth in mileage results nor the major improvements in actual mileage delivered because fuel is cheaper now and the mileage rules are being bent. Think about how sedans and midsize cars have gone from 70-80"s mileages of 17-18 mpg's to now 35-40 mpg's which is a 100% improvement. In full size SUV's and Trucks those numbers have gone from 12-15 mpg's to what is really not as listed mileages of 16-20 mpg's not the same 100% increase.

It's not that hard to greatly improve SUV and truck mileage, the manufacturers just don't have to or want to!

We fund their inactions when we visit the pumps with our hard earned dollars! JMO
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Your best mileage would be with a diesel and it stays about the same when towing but I doubt you will see the numbers everyone claims. My 01 2500HD 6.0 gas got 14.7 unloaded and about 9 towing, I bought my 09 in 2014 but I haven't driven it enough to check mileage but I doubt it's much better. If I was going to spend $50 to $70,000 on a new one I would have to have enough money that fuel and maintenance cost wasn't even a thought, HD tires have gone up considerably in cost, mine usually dry rot before I get to wear them out. :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Diesel option in the 3/4-1 ton trucks is around $8000 and from what I hear they have need expensive maintenance from time to time..
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I don't want or have a need for a wind up toy truck, I'll keep burning gas & diesel. :)
Jim
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Several automotive and truck magazine and blogs just came out complaining that the new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado with v-8 gas power has just definitely tested independently with mileages both around town and highway between 1-2 miles per gallon less than the same 2018 Silverado!? WTF in my book!

As for my future Rivian all wheel drive EV pickup truck if you wan to consider it a wind up toy, you had better study its performance parameters and capabilities before you make that shallow comment. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! [-X
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

The Rivian truck looks amazing since they have half their funding from Sumitomo I assume they are going to make their drivetrain.

Is sumitomo supplying these components for any other vehicles?

Dave B.
LIGHT 'EM UP
396monteSS

Post by 396monteSS »

So if I understand correctly, you started this thread to complain that OE manufacturers' vehicles dont live up to advertised numbers. But you also believe that this Rivan companie's product is going to meet or exceed its' advertised numbers? Seems like this thread would be a better fit in the new EV/hybrid section.

Its pretty obvious that OE manufacturers are building the vehicles that theyre able to sell. Thats how capitalism works. Its the same reason that Ford and GM are cutting back passenger cars, they build what sells, otherwise they'd go out of business. You cannot just pick out what you'd like to see built and decide thats what everyone wants.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Newold1 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:59 pm I am not about to pull a trailer around on some of these Northeast horse trail roads when it's snowing or sleet with black ice. I might be sometimes dumb, but I am not stupid!
If you've never tried that up here in winter ,you're missing some "cutting washers" moments!! :shock:
Haul your stuff when tyhe weather is nice. It does warm up in your region at some ppoint doesn't it??
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist