SBC combination critique

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Sumtingwong
Re: SBC combination critique

Post by Sumtingwong »

What would the perceived benefit of valve seat angles greater than conventionally used?

Not sure Im getting the jist of that.

High rpm or higher rpm usage I presume? Seems like it would be a negative to overlap exchange and therefore VE
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Sumtingwong wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:08 am What would the perceived benefit of valve seat angles greater than conventionally used?

High rpm or higher rpm usage I presume? Seems like it would be a negative to overlap exchange and therefore VE
In simple terms, super high lift, high rpm engines use steeper seats to prevent valve bounce, from a power prospective the reduced overlap effect allows a bigger cam than normal which allows you to take advantage of more lift earlier in the intake stroke.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

GARY C wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:22 am
Sumtingwong wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:08 am What would the perceived benefit of valve seat angles greater than conventionally used?

In simple terms, super high lift, high rpm engines use steeper seats to prevent valve bounce, from a power prospective the reduced overlap effect allows a bigger cam than normal which allows you to take advantage of more lift earlier in the intake stroke.

Lift is NOT a factor. Wasn't this covered in the other threads? It was. As for durability...there is no reason why a 50 degree seat is any less reliable than a 45. Just like a 45 is no less reliable than a 30.

You can stay stuck in the past or move forward. If it's a performance deal, you should at least look at a 50. IIRC, one guy used a 50 on his tow rig. Had under .500 lift. I forget his name. Look it up.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

ClassAct wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Lift is NOT a factor. Wasn't this covered in the other threads? It was. As for durability...there is no reason why a 50 degree seat is any less reliable than a 45. Just like a 45 is no less reliable than a 30.

You can stay stuck in the past or move forward. If it's a performance deal, you should at least look at a 50. IIRC, one guy used a 50 on his tow rig. Had under .500 lift. I forget his name. Look it up.
Then I guess it's settled.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Sumtingwong

Post by Sumtingwong »

How could there not be an increase in pressure concentration as that inclination angle increases???????? :?:
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

GARY C wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:25 pm

So how many 50 degree valve jobs have you done? I had them in street cars (including my own) drag stuff and circle junk. I have NEVER seen the seats look any worse than any other valve job. Sure, beat on it and they look at bit worse but I've never had one fail.

Again, it's about the shape.

I suggest the OP do his 30 degree seat and be happy. It's what he wanted. I should have never said anything because moving forward for some is just too damn hard.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Sumtingwong wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm How could there not be an increase in pressure concentration as that inclination angle increases???????? :?:
So you know enough to use big words like that but can't build a run-of-the-mill 350 in any of 500 magazines without help?

Something doesn't add up.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Sumtingwong

Post by Sumtingwong »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:31 pm
Sumtingwong wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm How could there not be an increase in pressure concentration as that inclination angle increases???????? :?:
So you know enough to use big words like that but can't build a run-of-the-mill 350 in any of 500 magazines without help?

Can you provide a link to a 500 horse pump 350?
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

A 4.00" bore with 2.080" intake valve and stock valve guide placement is a waste of time because of little to no bore edge to intake valve clearance. You need to pop a head on the bare block, flip it over and see what you have for clearance, if any. No problem with a bigger bore.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

ClassAct wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:14 pm
GARY C wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:25 pm

So how many 50 degree valve jobs have you done? I had them in street cars (including my own) drag stuff and circle junk. I have NEVER seen the seats look any worse than any other valve job. Sure, beat on it and they look at bit worse but I've never had one fail.

Again, it's about the shape.

I suggest the OP do his 30 degree seat and be happy. It's what he wanted. I should have never said anything because moving forward for some is just too damn hard.
Who said anything about one failing?
Please Note!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Food for thought from the valve mnf and some pro engine builders on this subject.
https://www.enginelabs.com/features/val ... rk-engine/

EDIT
I found this interesting.
"There certainly isn’t a downside to 45-degree valve-seat angles. There are plenty of winners using a standard 60-45-30 valve job. And in a recent report by Race Engine Technology, there was an in-depth retrospect on the Cosworth CA Formula 1 V8 engine from 2006. Revving to 20,000 rpm, this 2.4-liter engine featured 41.3mm (1.63-inch) solid titanium intake valves with a 1mm (.039-inch) wide 45-degree seat. On top, there were four progressive shallow angles before blending into the stem. The intake also featured four different coatings to improve durability. On the exhaust side, there was 35.0mm (1.38-inch) sodium-cooled titanium valve with a 2mm wide 42-degree seat. So, the fastest-spinning V8 in racing used a 45-degree angle on the intake and even shallower on the exhaust."

And this!
“The seat angle is not always the magic,” reminds Boggs. “The magic is in the angles above and below it and how that shapes the venturi. People tend to fixate on the seat angle. It’s only one piece of a multi-angle puzzle. The whole thing is about creating the shape of the venturi.”
Please Note!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Some things never change! Lol
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Warp Speed wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:51 pm Some things never change! Lol
You said it!
Please Note!
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

Sumtingwong wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm
midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Can you provide a link to a 500 horse pump 350?
A 2.02 valve with 45 seat is more than capable of 500hp at
355 cu in
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

Sumtingwong wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 am So perhaps I will keep it simple with a three angle 45 degree 2.02 valve seat job and hope it comes close to meeting my goals....

I could be wrong, but I think the Dart Platinum heads already come with a 45 degree valve seat angle-based 5 angle valve job. -You planning on intentionally "downgrading" your heads with a new 3 angle valve job over the stock 5 angle valve job???

https://static.summitracing.com/global/ ... 20head.pdf
Stock intake valve job: 32, 45, 60, 70, 80
Exhaust: 37, 45, radius

Adam