Stabbing a smaller cam in 454, need your opinion

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Stabbing a smaller cam in 454, need your opinion

Post by GARY C »

I don't have pics of all the components but because I planned on running the A/C I built surroundings to direct the air into the radiator as well as building a more direct fresh air intake on the drivers side front, this may have helped cooling but I never tested without it. Also some of the pics of intake, spacer and divider... All of which I could not tell a difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Part throttle pinging. Make sure you are using vac adv, connected to manifold vacuum. An adjustable VA unit, such as the Crane, should be used to limit the total VA at idle. Around 30* timing at idle is a good place to start. So timing at idle = vac adv + static timing. Most of the adj units can add a total of about 30* which would be too much for a mild combo, so if not using the Crane [ which comes with a stop ], you will need to fabricate a stop.

The efficiency of the extra VA timing makes the engine run cooler at cruise; so the instant you give it throttle at cruise, the cooler running will help with pinging.
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

for clarity, you cruise about 2000 rpm and in only 70 degree summertime weather you get pinging when moderate acceleration on 92 octane gas? this is with the Voodoo cam and the lifter working correct? do you know the water temp in those conditions?
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

I love cars like that Gary. Very cool.

Water temp at 180 degrees. I believe you all were spot on, the initial timing is way too much.

I have an update. In the past two days i took the original 402 with shim gaskets and that GM smallish roller cam and put it in the car. Runs and sounds great. Cleaned roller lifters with brake cleaner and no noise.

Thanks for all of your inputs!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

GARY C wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:14 am I don't have pics of all the components but because I planned on running the A/C I built surroundings to direct the air into the radiator as well as building a more direct fresh air intake on the drivers side front, this may have helped cooling but I never tested without it. Also some of the pics of intake, spacer and divider... All of which I could not tell a difference.
Did you ever think of making those side pieces in a way that it would funnel the air into the radiator, similar to what a lot of OEM's are doing now instead of just straight pieces that are parallel with direction of flow?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:59 am
GARY C wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:14 am I don't have pics of all the components but because I planned on running the A/C I built surroundings to direct the air into the radiator as well as building a more direct fresh air intake on the drivers side front, this may have helped cooling but I never tested without it. Also some of the pics of intake, spacer and divider... All of which I could not tell a difference.
Did you ever think of making those side pieces in a way that it would funnel the air into the radiator, similar to what a lot of OEM's are doing now instead of just straight pieces that are parallel with direction of flow?
That is what I did on the passenger side and then used the drivers side for fresh air intake, thats what the metal piece is with the hole in it is. I just forgot to get pictures before I put the grill back on it.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

GARY C wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:35 am
midnightbluS10 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:59 am
That is what I did on the passenger side and then used the drivers side for fresh air intake, thats what the metal piece is with the hole in it is. I just forgot to get pictures before I put the grill back on it.
I noticed after I commented. Thanks!
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Now that you have the 454 out of the car you can enjoy your road trip(s). And look at if and why the motor was detonating and why the valvetrain was so noisey and what all you can do about it.
Look at the flywheel flex plate for cracks between the crank bolts and broken ring gear welds. (Noise that sounds like pinging under mild loads.) Look fpr signs of cylinder knocking. (Inspection camera, plugs, valve seals....pcv) real compression ratio etc.
Fast ramp hyd (roller) cams can be noisey. Very fussy on oil used etc.
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

I intend to check all of these things. After I do these trips, I want to put the 454 back in. Need more torque and a lot more fun!

Thanks F bird 88 and all for your input. I really appreciate it.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

I have run many different 781 headed BB chevys in my street 78 El Camino on pump gas for many years. 461-522 cid. The lowest compression combo was 9.8 cr and highest is 10.36. I've never had overheating or pinging issues . I did , however, spend the time to tune the carb and distributor properly. Installing solid roller lifters on that hyd roller cam and setting lash at .003 will work excellent with your iron heads. Get rid of those POS hyd roller lifters and keep the cam. Not all mk iv blocks have all of the waterholes in deck drilled. See fel-pro catalog for diagram of missing holes. I always drill the deck if they are missing, use edelbrock waterpump, good clutch fan, and fan shroud.
Carlquist Competition Engines