Camshaft lobe hardfacing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Lee A.
Camshaft lobe hardfacing

Post by Lee A. »

Hey guys some searching on the forum came up with colmonoy 56 as the filler but want to know what others brands and part numbers of hardfacing alloys are being used successfully ?
Also would like to know if theres anyone that has been doing this successfully apart from Tig and submerge arc machines/welders.

I would like to build up cast iron cam lobes and need as much info and help as i get before investing in equipment/consumables to offer this service.

A local company said they repair marine diesel cam lobes with powder welding with good results but not sure if this same method will work in a 9000 rpm racing application.

I know these are trade secrets but im not based in the states if anyone is thinking of helping but too worried about everyone finding out. Pm is fine...
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Re: Camshaft lobe hardfacing

Post by tuffxf »

G,day,
Don't know where you are, Ivan Tighe camshafts in Brisbane used to do heaps of this work, not sure if they still do.
May help you I don't know?
Cheers
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

FWIW, check the spring pressures and RPM involved. A diesel can run low spring pressures because they turn low RPM. I don't know anyone who'd recommend running a welded cam with racing spring pressures @ 9,000 RPM.

There's also the cycle fatigue factor. Back in the bad old days when Iskenderian sold reground cams with higher lift from lobes built up with hard face overlay, they cautioned "For Racing Use Only." Seems even with the lower RPM of street use, the constant thrust/release cycling would cause the harder weld to separate from the softer core.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Look up webcam I had a lobe damaged and those guys welded back up and I had reground.They do a lot of cam welding for some of that really old stuff that people want to reuse.
Lee A.

Post by Lee A. »

Will see if i can get hold of Ivan Tighe cams thanks

The thing is i get what you saying Jack but there are companys doing this without issues and running for thousands of miles. If the overlay is coming apart from the base material then there wasnt enough bond.
Do you know which process Isky used?

Web are doing it reliably aswell
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

If I remember Isky's ad's right, they sold, "hard-face overlay", cams along with, "chilled iron", solid flat-tappet lifters.

pdq67
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Lee A. wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:40 amDo you know which process Isky used?
IIRC, they had a submerged arc, but I'll confirm that with a guy who worked on the machine for them.

Also, plan on lots of practice straightening cams. Heating one in sections usually results in warpage.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Lee A.

Post by Lee A. »

thanks for the replys anyone else have any good recommendations?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Lee A. wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:09 am thanks for the replys anyone else have any good recommendations?
Buy a new cam.
I have been down the repair road with several race type cams at the customers request and it is almost the same cost a new cam. By the time it is welded and straightened then the other lobes are touched up and the welded lobe ground then the can is straightened again it can be more costly then imagined. Old stuff or low RPM light spring combos it may be the only option but any off the shelf or even a custom cam can be had almost cheaper in a lot of cases.

Last time I talked with Ed and Richard at Isky about this process they stopped doing it because it was a very toxic process and was dropped in favor of newer cam lobe designs. Also the special hardened lifters are not easy to locate either as they are not made anymore.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

A pal of mine had the cams for his Alfa Romeo Spider welded up and reground by one of the Crower scions ~7 years ago. Still going strong...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Was it Brian crower or the old man Crower.
If they can do hard face overlay cams its good to know. =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

I have a local cam grinding co. In my area with the nicest gentleman one could ever meet. I took a new box flat tappet cam that came bent to him to be streightened.
I was compleatly amazed! As I got to watch how it was done. A total art. Was one of the most joyfull things I ever did watch in my 35 years in auto trades.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

ProPower engines wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:25 am Was it Brian crower or the old man Crower.
If they can do hard face overlay cams its good to know. =D>
One of the sons, but IDR which. I believe it was hardface but I'll check with my pal.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.