Nascar 550 hp limit ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: Nascar 550 hp limit ??

Post by Warp Speed »

427dart wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 pm Who says it has to turn 9000 RPM during a race?
It doesn't, but without it, they would be so slow it would be like watching paint dry!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Bazman wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:08 pm 550hp limit? Geesh, no wonder crowds are dwindling. Boring. I use 40% more than that on closed twisty road events that last a week. Who came up with that stupid idea?
Come on out, it should be no problem for you then! :wink:
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

101000 in the stands at Daytona today!Tom
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Warp speed,how much HP have the super speedway Cup cars had the last few years?They have run a Restricter for year so.Tom
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Yea 100100 to watch a wreck fest seem like when they ran unlimited power there was less car torn up.But I guess the fans like seeing all the expensive race car playing demolition derby.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

JMO,the 2 super speedway tracks have out lived their usefulness in their current configuration.Just me.Tom
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

A lot of us watched the Daytona Demolition Derby today!, Along with 101,000 fans in the stands that seat 164,000. Let me see by my simple math that's about 65 percent capacity?

From what Nascar puts out publically, Daytona today was the last restrictor plate race and the new tapered spacer 550hp engines are to cutdown on the congested pack racing problems like we saw wipe out over half of the field and put about 8 - 9 million dollars worth of incredible racing machinery in the junk pile.
Will someone who knows tell me how less power ( a lot, 550-850) and slower cars with less power for acceleration is going to eliminate congested pack racing in Nascar? Because watching that fisaco today was discouraging unless you love demolition derby, I don't !
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I'm sure Warp knows.From what I have learned the cars will be faster in the turns,promote more side by side racing with more passing for the lead.The new package was tested in the All Star race last year and had more passing in that one race than all the past year races.BUT there was not 40 cars on the track.Atlanta will be the first race with the new package.I hope I got most of that right and does it with less carnage.Tom
racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro

Post by racinnut15xm »

The cars will still be so aero dependent i don't see how limiting the HP is going to break up the big draft. I haven't watched nascar in probably 5 years but they have to get the nose off the ground and take spoilers away. Unhook the cars and put it back in the drivers hands. I say the same thing about the dirt late model and modifieds of today. Hell i even say it of the winged sprints around here. For some reason people think less and less power is the answer... It was 410's around here to start then it was 360 injected cars. Then 360 2barrel cars. Now they are changing to the 305's....Ive never understood that thinking. If you cant spin a tire the guy with an extra 10k to get that last 10hp will have a large advantage.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

CamKing wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:16 pm
427dart wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:37 pm why don't they just run the current production engines??
Because that would be smart, and that's not really NASCAR's thing.

They had the goose that laid golden eggs, and they made goose burgers out of it.
They need to appearance of a race car to draw sponsor money and make people think its not a spec seiries.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

GARY C wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 am
427dart wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:37 pm why don't they just run the current production engines??

They had the goose that laid golden eggs, and they made goose burgers out of it.
They need to appearance of a race car to draw sponsor money and make people think its not a spec seiries.
But if it was a spec series, wouldn't everyone run the exact same engine with tamperproofing, etc?

I really don't know as I don't watch Nascar often. Once a year maybe? Just going by other spec racing series but they aren't really oval track, dirt track, etc...as I never really got into that sort of racing.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

tjs44 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:30 pm Warp speed,how much HP have the super speedway Cup cars had the last few years?They have run a Restricter for year so.Tom
410-420ish
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

1972ho wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 pm Yea 100100 to watch a wreck fest seem like when they ran unlimited power there was less car torn up.But I guess the fans like seeing all the expensive race car playing demolition derby.
Ya, I guess it's better to see someone win by 2 laps?!? Lol
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:58 am
GARY C wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 am

But if it was a spec series, wouldn't everyone run the exact same engine with tamperproofing, etc?

I really don't know as I don't watch Nascar often. Once a year maybe? Just going by other spec racing series but they aren't really oval track, dirt track, etc...as I never really got into that sort of racing.
Yes, it's about as close as you can get without completely cutting out the mnf support with different brands. I was glad to see them start running Mustangs and Camaros.

I think their rules have killed a lot of innovation that has brought some great technology and parts to the market for us little guys.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Stock car racing on speedways.....Race cars that look like real cars in tight packs battle for the lead at a slow 160 MPH...The crowd on it's feet for the finish.....and bring back a some racing on dirt tracks

Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire