Cooling system design

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bobalattie
Cooling system design

Post by bobalattie »

Need a little help to make sure I designed the cooling system correctly for my race car. It’s an asphalt modified.
I have a 19x27 double pass radiator (inlet and outlet on rh tank) with remote reservoir that has the 30 psi cap on the reservoir. The reservoir had 2 ports on the side, one near the top and one near the bottom, the bottom one from the reservoir I have hooked to the water pump upper heater nipple (SBF), and the top port on the reservoir goes to the upper left corner of the radiator. I have a -16 upper radiator hose and a 1.75” flex lower hose. I want to add two ports on the rear of the intake manifold/cylhead water ports to help with purging air pockets in the heads, and not sure where to plumb them to. I know on a sbc they go down stream of the restrictor in the upper hose adapter, currentIy don’t have that option.. my upper hose is my restriction, and the hose from the left upper corner of the radiator to the reservoir flows from the radiator to the reservoir, so that backward from what I want it to do.
any ideas on where I could plumb them to? The engine is the highest point in the cooling system.

I’m prolly overthinking this, but could use some insight.

Thank you in advance
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Cooling system design

Post by Geoff2 »

Might find some info here:

www.stewartcomponents.com
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

bobalattie wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:48 pm Need a little help to make sure I designed the cooling system correctly for my race car. It’s an asphalt modified.
I have a 19x27 double pass radiator (inlet and outlet on rh tank) with remote reservoir that has the 30 psi cap on the reservoir. The reservoir had 2 ports on the side, one near the top and one near the bottom, the bottom one from the reservoir I have hooked to the water pump upper heater nipple (SBF), and the top port on the reservoir goes to the upper left corner of the radiator. I have a -16 upper radiator hose and a 1.75” flex lower hose. I want to add two ports on the rear of the intake manifold/cylhead water ports to help with purging air pockets in the heads, and not sure where to plumb them to. I know on a sbc they go down stream of the restrictor in the upper hose adapter, currentIy don’t have that option.. my upper hose is my restriction, and the hose from the left upper corner of the radiator to the reservoir flows from the radiator to the reservoir, so that backward from what I want it to do.
any ideas on where I could plumb them to? The engine is the highest point in the cooling system.

I’m prolly overthinking this, but could use some insight.

Thank you in advance
Since you can ad 2 rear hoses to remove trapped air pockets I would plumb them to the outlet of the upper hose connection area. You may have to fab a deal to make it work but I don't see it as a big deal. A little welding maybe but thats about the hard part. Unless you have reverse cooled the engine but I believe they need to be located to force the trapped air pockets to move to the highest point in the water flow to allow the air to move to the expansion tank to be vented.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
bobalattie

Post by bobalattie »

Don’t I need to tee the hoses back in after the restrictor to make it flow correctly so there is a pressure change to create a follow direction? Or am I over thinking this?

I’m not running a t-stat or restrictor disc, the -16 upper hose is my restrictor.