General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jed
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 331ci horsepower

Post by jed »

phantomfab wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:03 pm
jed wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:43 pm If the engine is making 400/450 HP the stock rods should be changed between 1800 & 2000 laps.
It will be pulled apart with no more than 500 laps.
IMO your wasting time & money tearing that engine down every 500 laps. A 4 bolt block, forged crankshaft and stock
rods, if the lower end is set up right you will never have to change the bearings. At 1800 laps change the rods, hone the cylinders and put in new rings and go racing.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

tresi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:32 am You are leaving too much on the table. A little here, a little there, a little everywhere adds up to a bunch. Build it and sell it to a bracket racer or street rodder and get what you need.
By his previous replies it appears this is just a backup motor for the bumper car tracks. What's that member around here's tagline?.. better to be last in b-main than first in the stands?

Racing is fun and you only get better by actually doing it. I say help the man make the most of what he's got to spend and available parts to work with and let him go race.
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

X2
phantomfab

Post by phantomfab »

groberts101 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:34 am
tresi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:32 am You are leaving too much on the table. A little here, a little there, a little everywhere adds up to a bunch. Build it and sell it to a bracket racer or street rodder and get what you need.
By his previous replies it appears this is just a backup motor for the bumper car tracks. What's that member around here's tagline?.. better to be last in b-main than first in the stands?

Racing is fun and you only get better by actually doing it. I say help the man make the most of what he's got to spend and available parts to work with and let him go race.
Exactly. There are three cars that we run at the local track for points. Big 3/8 track that needs big power to run even with the pack. Those three cars have engines with over 600 hp and turn over 8k. Two of us run cars which leaves us with one good back up car. This engine is in an old cheap chassis that cant put much more power to the ground than what I expect the little 331 to put out. This car sees dry slick short tracks that teach alot about driving in tight packs with little traction. There is a lot of contact on most nights, one of the main reasons I do not run these tracks for points.
phantomfab

Post by phantomfab »

jed wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:04 am
phantomfab wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:03 pm
jed wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:43 pm If the engine is making 400/450 HP the stock rods should be changed between 1800 & 2000 laps.
It will be pulled apart with no more than 500 laps.
IMO your wasting time & money tearing that engine down every 500 laps. A 4 bolt block, forged crankshaft and stock
rods, if the lower end is set up right you will never have to change the bearings. At 1800 laps change the rods, hone the cylinders and put in new rings and go racing.
You really think so? I figured it would be a good idea to at least pull it apart for inspection in the off season.