Budget High Torque 360

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sportsroof
Budget High Torque 360

Post by sportsroof »

Pondering the possibilities of a budget 360 Mopar build for a friend. Engine is a 360 Magnum factory roller lump, so options there look good. Aiming to keep the factory heads although I have read that they can have issues.
Here's the odd part. Knowing that the friend is not a mad driver I'm thinking of trying to build the most torque into this instead of the usual 'most power'. Max rpm about 5000 would do the job. Car is 1970 Barracuda, 4 speed with 3.23 rear and I'll stab at 275/60-15 tyres but that's not written in stone. Car is still being built up from a speck of rust so no rush!
Obviously a stroker is the best answer here but that's going to cost a lot so I just wondered if anyone here had tips on how to achieve similar results without resorting to a 4 inch stroke.
Cheers, Martin
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Budget High Torque 360

Post by rebelrouser »

Ebay has cheap stroker kits for $1,200 you can hardly buy OEM parts for that. Have built several pump gas 408 mopars, they run great. Yes you can spend a lot more, but if it is just a street engine and the owner does not get crazy they last very well. Pocket port he heads and a mild cam that holds 16 inches of vacuum. 425 to 450 HP is what mine have done. good manners on the street. I did one with a procharger 6 lbs of boost, with Fitech injection, and it makes 500hp to the rear wheels, and gets 15mpg if I keep my foot out of it.
sportsroof

Post by sportsroof »

Yep, did you see where I said it would cost a lot? I'm not in the US and it sickens me to see the prices of cars and parts there.
We have the 360, I'm trying to do the best without the expense of importing a stroker kit.
Cheers, Martin
Sumtingwong

Post by Sumtingwong »

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you want the most possible torque/cid N/A from a 360 LA (Magnum) motor use a tunnel ram induction on it.
Yes the cam can be relative mild , big torque friendly.
Long , high speed runners. Add length to existing available stuff if needed. Same with headers (180° → 4/2/1→ tri-Y →…?…) Make the induction and exhaust systems highly tuned.

The tires are too tall. Get shorter tires or add gear(z).
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

sportsroof wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:44 pm Yep, did you see where I said it would cost a lot? I'm not in the US and it sickens me to see the prices of cars and parts there.
We have the 360, I'm trying to do the best without the expense of importing a stroker kit.
Cheers, Martin
Take a minute and put your location in your profile. It will show up under your name.
Responders won't assume things as often.....maybe and then you can get sympathy for tariffs and such.

Cost of things can be relative.
What kind of budget can your friend justify?
I mean, he is doing a ground up car so your engine project may look like peanuts to him.

Other than the stroker thing you can still blueprint the snot out of it.
Round holes, straight lines, deck height, torque plates, CCs, clearances, head work, proper cam, etc.
Personally I would look into a aftermarket heads and see if what is offered. Perhaps that will offer more dollar value than a stroker.
I say that because if you go the stroker route then you really should have the aftermarket heads anyway.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Sumtingwong wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:04 pm http://x/ede-v260mopar.html
Fix your link please.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The design, layout of the old Edelbrock SBM tunnel ram allows for extending the runners length.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/at ... 714970365/
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

Dave Koehler wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:30 pm
Fix your link please.
You'll have to talk to management and everyone who has an issue with Chaz Spear for that, unfortunately. The "v260" gave it away.

Link should be www.speaerracingheads.com/ede-v260mopar.html and change the "A" in SPE"A"ER to "I"

Pretty bad that one has to do that because of a few immature "grown men", so-called professionals that can't and won't stop their bs with the guy.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

sportsroof wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:08 pm Pondering the possibilities of a budget 360 Mopar build for a friend. Engine is a 360 Magnum factory roller lump, so options there look good. Aiming to keep the factory heads although I have read that they can have issues.
Here's the odd part. Knowing that the friend is not a mad driver I'm thinking of trying to build the most torque into this instead of the usual 'most power'. Max rpm about 5000 would do the job. Car is 1970 Barracuda, 4 speed with 3.23 rear and I'll stab at 275/60-15 tyres but that's not written in stone. Car is still being built up from a speck of rust so no rush!
Obviously a stroker is the best answer here but that's going to cost a lot so I just wondered if anyone here had tips on how to achieve similar results without resorting to a 4 inch stroke.
Cheers, Martin
Depending upon how much labor you can have done yourself, we did such a thing a few years ago. It is a 380 cubic inch engine.
I had to go back and look up what parts we used for this Dakota pick-up being used for trailer towing.

Offset grind the 360 crank to a 1.999" pin and use an aftermarket performance rod for gen III hemi 6.125" long. Needs 2 sets of 4 Hyper pistons from Keith Black for a Pontiac 151 4 cyl. engine no: KB223 +.040"

The piston is a flat-top and will be about .025" down the hole with NO valve reliefs.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

First thing to do is magnaflux and pressure test your heads. Most used Magnum heads will be cracked.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

makin chips wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:55 pm
Dave Koehler wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:30 pm
Fix your link please.
You'll have to talk to management and everyone who has an issue with Chaz Spear for that, unfortunately. The "v260" gave it away.

Link should be www.speaerracingheads.com/ede-v260mopar.html and change the "A" in SPE"A"ER to "I"

Pretty bad that one has to do that because of a few immature "grown men", so-called professionals that can't and won't stop their bs with the guy.
He made his own bed, if you see it differently you are either him...or devoid of the facts behind why he was banned. I have viewed and possess the emails between him and management that were threatening. I myself and others were subject to harassment by him via an alias through PM's(IP address verified by management) and personal phone calls, this was after his ban.. btw.

Either way, it's all past tense. Everyone needs a scapegoat. I personally think he should be allowed back on...
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

What octane do you have?

Max torque mean maximum cylinder pressure, so you want to maximize compression ratio with relatively short cam timing and possibly an early intake valve closing point. This means your octane, ignition timing, and gearing are going to be important.

The 28" tall tires are going to hurt a lot here, with those rear gears. Get closer to 26" tall tires, in my opinion.

JMO,

paulie