calculating correct dyno data.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

calculating correct dyno data.

Post by AMXstocker1 »

i'm not sure if this can be done or not but we went to a chassis dyno awhile back and they didn't hookup a lead to measure engine rpm they let the computer back calculate off of gear ratio and rear wheel rpm. and i thought at the time this was sketchy info at best because our car has a 8 inch 6000rpm converter in it that at the very least is going to take some time to catch up so long story short we only made 2 pulls becuase of issues but the dyno said 440hp and 650lbs of torque at 4500rpm and this after i just got finished watching the tach hit 7000rpm and the shift light come on thats set to that rpm so my question is, is there a way mathematically to calculate the correct reading for the actual engine rpm? i was trying to work it out but i'm not sure how to do it accuratly simply taking the torque # of 650 and multiplying it by 7000 and dividing it by 5252 gives something like 820 hp which is absurd for our combination.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: calculating correct dyno data.

Post by rustbucket79 »

Torque converters multiply torque. Not sure how it works but I think max multiplication is at full stall wheels locked then as acceleration continues the multiplication decreases.

I'd like to know if this is factual.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

With a high stall converter, chassis dyno numbers are useful mostly just for test to test comparisons; there's just too much unpredictable slippage.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

agreed i just wish they would've used another way to track rpm like a lead on the #1 plug wire or something anyway the engine got freshened over the winter and should be going on a engine dyno next friday. so we will get real data.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

If you don't know rpm forget the torque number on a chassis dyno. OTOH the power number doesn't care about gearing. Chassis dyno power = engine dyno power minus losses.

You can calculate flywheel torque from the power number and the rpm. So 440 x 5252 / 7000 = 330 lb ft plus losses eg 20% loss => 330/1.2 = 396

Torque converters multiply torque until the stator starts to freewheel above which rpm the torque out = engine torque.

Yes Rustbucket the torque multiplication drops with rpm until it reaches 1.0, then stays at 1.0 from there up.
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

i still don't think thats right i guess we well see what it actually makes at the flywheel. i don't think you can take one side or the other and change the rpm factor and get any real info. you would have to back calculate to newtons or watts then move back forward i'm not sure what the dyno sees and sadly that motor didn't get down a drag strip last year so i don't have that to go off of.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

440 HP = 328 kW

Same thing just different name.
(S.I. or metric or imperial etc)

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:19 pm If you don't know rpm forget the torque number on a chassis dyno. OTOH the power number doesn't care about gearing. Chassis dyno power = engine dyno power minus losses.

You can calculate flywheel torque from the power number and the rpm. So 440 x 5252 / 7000 = 330 lb ft plus losses eg 20% loss => 330/1.2 = 396

Torque converters multiply torque until the stator starts to freewheel above which rpm the torque out = engine torque.

Yes Rustbucket the torque multiplication drops with rpm until it reaches 1.0, then stays at 1.0 from there up.
i wont pick on your claims of 20% as that is a can of worms but 330/1.2 is not 396. nor is 330 at wheels going to be 396 at flywheel assuming the losses were 20%. 330/0.8 = 412.5
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

330 * 1.2 = 396 :D

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Stan Weiss wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:10 pm 330 * 1.2 = 396 :D

Stan
not how it works

80% is 330 so 100% is 412.5
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Correct. 320/0.8 = 412.5.
Apologies for the stuff up.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:19 pm If you don't know rpm forget the torque number on a chassis dyno. OTOH the power number doesn't care about gearing. Chassis dyno power = engine dyno power minus losses.

Thanks for the confirmation.
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

I'm a strong believer in using the inductive pickup or obd connector if your not using it to datalog. I have seen too many instances where the engine speed calculated by the dyno is incorrect. That IMO is one of the main contributors to the reason chassis dyno numbers are all over the place. You can see two cars with the same induction tract and one dyno says it made 40 more hp and peak 3-400rpms higher. I have even seen this on a manual cars. Other contributing factors include tire type, air pressure in the tires, how tight the straps are, ect. Chassis dynos are great for tuning. I would assume the new hub dyno's eliminate many of these problems but I haven't had the luxury to try one yet. Don't get hung up on the numbers. Go the track and weigh the car. You will have much better luck figuring everything backwards from that.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

slo-svt wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:31 pm I'm a strong believer in using the inductive pickup or obd connector if your not using it to datalog. I have seen too many instances where the engine speed calculated by the dyno is incorrect. That IMO is one of the main contributors to the reason chassis dyno numbers are all over the place. You can see two cars with the same induction tract and one dyno says it made 40 more hp and peak 3-400rpms higher. I have even seen this on a manual cars. Other contributing factors include tire type, air pressure in the tires, how tight the straps are, ect. Chassis dynos are great for tuning. I would assume the new hub dyno's eliminate many of these problems but I haven't had the luxury to try one yet. Don't get hung up on the numbers. Go the track and weigh the car. You will have much better luck figuring everything backwards from that.
Wrong engine rpm affects "effective/derived torque" not power you can get a power figure without engine rpm. It uses roller surface speed as x-axis in mph or km/hr
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

digger wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 am
slo-svt wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:31 pm I'm a strong believer in using the inductive pickup or obd connector if your not using it to datalog. I have seen too many instances where the engine speed calculated by the dyno is incorrect. That IMO is one of the main contributors to the reason chassis dyno numbers are all over the place. You can see two cars with the same induction tract and one dyno says it made 40 more hp and peak 3-400rpms higher. I have even seen this on a manual cars. Other contributing factors include tire type, air pressure in the tires, how tight the straps are, ect. Chassis dynos are great for tuning. I would assume the new hub dyno's eliminate many of these problems but I haven't had the luxury to try one yet. Don't get hung up on the numbers. Go the track and weigh the car. You will have much better luck figuring everything backwards from that.
Wrong engine rpm affects "effective/derived torque" not power you can get a power figure without engine rpm. It uses roller surface speed as x-axis in mph or km/hr
Could you go into more detail on how the calculations are performed.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein