I'm done with F1

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gnash
I'm done with F1

Post by gnash »

I'm too tired of watching Mercedes buy the F1 championship every year.
Not a big fan of parity (Indy car) but Mercedes is just too big and too deep in the pockets to compete against.
Australian Super V8 series is my new venue. I love it!
BradH
Guru
Guru
Re: I'm done with F1

Post by BradH »

I stopped following F1 when they forced them to run "race" tires w/ grooves in the tread, along with some other chassis restrictions that left me shaking my head. Yeah, that was a loooong time ago... but that's all it took for me to loose interest.

I've got similar heartburn over what's happened to MotoGP, where the electronics packages seem as important as the riders, since they can incorporate traction control, etc. What happened to the idea that the rider's skills were responsible for getting around the track? Makes me wonder what the last generation of the 500cc 2-stroke GP racers think of the direction their sport's taken...
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

Round 1 of MotoGP from Phillip Island was awesome ... all three classes.

WorldSBK - well, it's good to see someone other than Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki) winning, but Bautista (Ducati) is now running away with it in the same manner that Rea used to. Ducati have done a very good job transferring MotoGP tech to the V4 street bike.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Want to see what over manipulation by a sanctioning body can do to a racing sport? Notice this year versus a few years ago in Nascar the Chevy teams were competitive and winning races. Toyota was winning hardly anything and Ford not much better. Now this year Chevy can't win shit and Toyota and Ford are dominating. Wonder why?
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

Brian P wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:47 pm Round 1 of MotoGP from Phillip Island was awesome ... all three classes.

WorldSBK - well, it's good to see someone other than Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki) winning, but Bautista (Ducati) is now running away with it in the same manner that Rea used to. Ducati have done a very good job transferring MotoGP tech to the V4 street bike.
MotoGP round one was Qatar... but I agree, MotoGP is incredible, and is the pinnacle of road racing in my opinion. I've been a fan since the 500cc days.

F1..... Formula Boring.

From an engineering standpoint, the cars are incredible. That said, the racing is a snooze fest.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
TAG

Post by TAG »

Dunno. F1 for me is really exciting, when you follow it up through the year. Driver swaps, tests, tests.. Race weekend with practices, qualifying and race. And for me, the technical side is the most enjoyable. Decisions made, people(s) behind them, results, mid-season upgrade packages..
Last millenia it was even better, but so was many more things.
Beats hands downs watching skittles'ses running down the toilet with 4 turns hour after hour.

Indy, now that would be interesting to watch.
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

Hah. Busted. MotoGP round 1 was from Qatar. I was thinking about WorldSBK from Phillip Island, which I had just finished watching at the time.

WorldSBK just had round 2 from Thailand. Jonathan Rae was closer, but Bautista still won.
Pro-SeriesFab

Post by Pro-SeriesFab »

Heck, I left when v10s did :mrgreen: