Engine stand

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Engine stand

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:21 am Hanging a block from the transmission mounts introduces a catenoidal distortion to the block. This is straight-forward physics.
engineguyBill wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:02 pm Kevin,
this is another example of your misuse of technical jargon in an effort to impress (confuse) the lesser educated masses (us). I cannot envision that a catenoid has any relationship to an iron engine block attached to an engine stand . . . . . . .
Each incremental element in the x-axis of a cantilevered beam (engine block) is subject to the acceleration due to gravity and because the material is contiguous it transmits an ever increasing torque to the initial element. The torque places each succeeding element in a decreasing ratio of tension to compression till finally they balance at the unsupported end of the beam.

An anchored contiguous suspension cable under the acceleration due to gravity transmits an ever increasing tension vector to the initial element as the cable increases in length but a decreasing value of tension for every succeeding element till finally the tension vector balances with the opposing elements leading to the second anchor.

The inverse of the catenoidal curve of the cable will be related to that of the cantilevered beam as the uniform force on both and each contiguous linear element of both is the acceleration due to gravity due to their own self-load.

I spent a lot of time doing interdisciplinary studies. A major impediment to progress in solving equivalent and/or related problems and the progress in knowledge is the use of jargon so as to exclude those who are not of the cognoscenti, tribe or professional society. I will gladly mix registers to combat this and thereby encourage people TO LOOK UP WORDS AND IDEAS THEY DO NOT RECOGNIZE.

I think it is better to assume ignorance over stupidity. As Judge Judith Sheindlin says, “You can't fix stupid.” I think most people want to learn or they would not populate this forum.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Still BS . . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Shaner

Post by Shaner »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 pm
Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:21 am Hanging a block from the transmission mounts introduces a catenoidal distortion to the block. This is straight-forward physics.
engineguyBill wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:02 pm Kevin,
this is another example of your misuse of technical jargon in an effort to impress (confuse) the lesser educated masses (us). I cannot envision that a catenoid has any relationship to an iron engine block attached to an engine stand . . . . . . .
Each incremental element in the x-axis of a cantilevered beam (engine block) is subject to the acceleration due to gravity and because the material is contiguous it transmits an ever increasing torque to the initial element. The torque places each succeeding element in a decreasing ratio of tension to compression till finally they balance at the unsupported end of the beam.

An anchored contiguous suspension cable under the acceleration due to gravity transmits an ever increasing tension vector to the initial element as the cable increases in length but a decreasing value of tension for every succeeding element till finally the tension vector balances with the opposing elements leading to the second anchor.

The inverse of the catenoidal curve of the cable will be related to that of the cantilevered beam as the uniform force on both and each contiguous linear element of both is the acceleration due to gravity due to their own self-load.

I spent a lot of time doing interdisciplinary studies. A major impediment to progress in solving equivalent and/or related problems and the progress in knowledge is the use of jargon so as to exclude those who are not of the cognoscenti, tribe or professional society. I will gladly mix registers to combat this and thereby encourage people TO LOOK UP WORDS AND IDEAS THEY DO NOT RECOGNIZE.

I think it is better to assume ignorance over stupidity. As Judge Judith Sheindlin says, “You can't fix stupid.” I think most people want to learn or they would not populate this forum.
Part of learning someone, one will need the ability to talk at their level about said subject as the student is already less informed than the presenter.

While I have no doubt your experienced and intelligent you dont make the most intelligent choices when commenting.

Thank you for your post however as I value everyone's facts and opinions to a topic I am interested in.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

engineguyBill wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 pm Still BS . . . . . . . .
Thank you for your considered and detailed reply.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Shaner wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:07 am Part of learning someone, one will need the ability to talk at their level about said subject as the student is already less informed than the presenter.

While I have no doubt your experienced and intelligent you dont make the most intelligent choices when commenting.

Thank you for your post however as I value everyone's facts and opinions to a topic I am interested in.
I had the opportunity to become a teacher and I chose not to because I did not want to inadvertently damage young minds.

The learning materials to study most subjects are readily available and free.

The onus is on the student to make the effort.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

oh my god,you are soooo smart and want everyone to know it.after 40 years in this business im met few so called machinist with there nose so high in the air they cant see to walk.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I appreciate Kevin's writing style and vocabulary; it's good exercise to have to stretch your mind a bit when delving beneath the surface of sometimes simple-appearing topics. :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

jake197000 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:04 pm oh my god,you are soooo smart and want everyone to know it.after 40 years in this business im met few so called machinist with there nose so high in the air they cant see to walk.
Actually I scan the ground and try to anticipate tripping over things or people running into me and causing me to fall. That was because I was extremely foolish and ignored my own behavior which led to diabetes.

Feel better now?

:roll:

You don't seem to have read many of my comments. My good friends were all auto mechanics and racers and I respected them greatly -- one of them has been pictured on the bottom of my website for over a decade. They were a lot older than me and have died.
Jean-Claude.jpg
Last edited by Kevin Johnson on Sat May 18, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:23 pm I appreciate Kevin's writing style and vocabulary; it's good exercise to have to stretch your mind a bit when delving beneath the surface of sometimes simple-appearing topics. :)
Thank you.