Copper head gasket without o-rings?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

lc-gtr-1969
Re: Copper head gasket without o-rings?

Post by lc-gtr-1969 »

Thanks for that link, they look like a solid supply chain...

I spoke to a local company (in Sydney) and they said they could make a custom composite gasket with the flame ring without valve notches (ie perfect circle to match the bore) and with extended metal on the bottom face to cover the old receiver groove- which I am starting to think may be my best option here... at least a composite will compress more and likely will hug the groove from the extended metal on the custom gasket... I may be wrong here but my thoughts are its a better option at this stage than a copper with no o rings... Bearing in mind that this is a interim short block, im building a new short block but it will be about 12-18 months away till cash and parts are ready.. Im only running this to keep the car going as my Sunday cruiser for the time being. New short block is all forged internals etc.. roller cam...
Fumbling around in the shed...
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

The last gasket I got from them was a Massey Fergusson head gasket and liner rings.
I sent a quick email asking about 1 off composite or mls gaskets ,,,

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes we do!

Best Regards

John Tripp

Gasket Solutions P/L

Ph: 07 3285 7320

Mob: 0407 963 914

but , yes no matter who you get it from it does look like a custom round gasket is the most straight forward for a temporary engine, certainly saves removing and machining etc.
Wait for Tonys opinion, he's a smart chap.
P.s. i like the valve 'witness notch' in that piston! Did the old head have a mishap?
Craig.
lc-gtr-1969

Post by lc-gtr-1969 »

You are very observant- yes, the old head's valve springs were not up to the task and floated the valves... around 6800 it started floating them caused issues...

I was considering rebuilding the old head but it only flowed 180cfm, so more porting would have been done which would make the cost fairly high, so I just bit the bullet and bought an aftermarket head that flows 260cfm. This is mainly for my new short block, not the current block, as said, im just using this new head on the old block to keep my sunday driver going till ive got the new bottom end sorted.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

If you go the custom round gasket make sure of valve to bore edge clearance to make sure the gasket material in that location wont be a problem. I did notice a small notch on the top edge of one bore at this location in one of your pics. Measure twice buy once!

Edit,, then i just re read your post saying you dont need valve reliefs so i assume you have already checked ,, read twice post once ! :lol:
Craig.
lc-gtr-1969

Post by lc-gtr-1969 »

Thanks mate, yeah the new head doesn’t need valve releifs from gaskets perspective.. I didn’t assemble this engine, came to me from a fella who had it build by a reputable performance shop, however I don’t think the builder was to blame for valve contact, I think the springs lost some tension or perhaps were a little under done.

I really appreciate all the advice.

I went out and saw the custom gasket mob in Sydney and showed them my old copper gasket and the old witness marks etc..

They confirmed that they can extend the metal fire ring on the block mating face to ensure the metal is always blanketing the receiver groove.

As it’s a composite it will have a bit of crush so I’m thinking the copper fire ring will nip and hug the shoulder of the receiver groove and therefore help with sealing? At least that’s what the gasket fella thought.

I think I’ll give this a go and if I have trouble sealing combustion I’ll consider going back to full copper and o ring.
JaneForsy

Post by JaneForsy »

I have to say that I am a stickler for doing things the right way.
JaneForsy

Post by JaneForsy »

I have to say that I am a stickler for doing things the right way. I would still choose to use o-rings and ensure that the O-ring does not stand tall from the deck. It works for me.