Port Mismatch

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GM-DR

Port Mismatch

Post by GM-DR »

SBC Drag Racing Engine---RPM Band 5300-7300 +-/ Ported OEM heads=port entrance 1.18x1.95---Ported Victor JR =port exit 1.22x1.95---How much Is that .020 mismatch on the two sides costing me ? Best Performance to date 11.31/116 MPH @ 3400#s ( Upgrading to Better Heads or Camshaft is NOT legal or possible) Thanks For Your Input
Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Port Mismatch

Post by Newold1 »

Little to nothing. In a port on that SBC head that .020" per isn't even as deep as the boundary air layer flow against the wall. If its together no need to port match that and even if it is not you won't see any appreciable power difference in my experiences.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I've read a number of references that said 0.020" misalignment is functionally identical to 0.000".
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

On one of my speedtalk CD
Phil martin says they oversize the intake 50-100 thou on purpose in nascar back in the day (circa 1990s)
He mentioned boundary layer but didn't go into detail,
The question I ask does the boundary layer still exist when the valve opening and closing 60 times a second??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
GM-DR

Post by GM-DR »

Thanks for the answers !!!!! --it appears that everyone here has drawn the same conclusion---I now feel better installing this :D
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

If air is moving over a surface there will be a boundary layer.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Newold1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:54 pm If air is moving over a surface there will be a boundary layer.
Yes I hear what you are saying, I have thought in the past that turbulent air with fuel in and out of suspension might make the mixture stick to the port walls.
Now I am not sure so I am going back to reaserch department to read up on laminar and turbulent flow, boundary layers and port wall finishes for different applications :D
steve c
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

It's been authoritatively stated in previous S/T threads (DV's among others) that due to its velocity, engine airflow is always turbulent.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

MadBill wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:51 pm It's been authoritatively stated in previous S/T threads (DV's among others) that due to its velocity, engine airflow is always turbulent.
agreed Bill,
just read 64 pages on port wall finish-now i am tired :D
steve c
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Since the BBC Rectangle port intakes will work fine on Oval port heads i don't think you have anything to worry about.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

A port with laminar air flow will exhibit streamlines that are parallel to the port wall. The streamlines will move faster down the center than at the wall. At some small distance from the wall the flow will become zero and is defined as the boundary layer.

The Reynolds number consists of: port diameter * air velocity * air density / air viscosity. The Reynolds number will define the transition from laminar to turbulent air flow. Assuming that port diameter, air density and air viscosity do not change (a false assumption), the Reynolds number will become a function of air velocity.

As air velocity increases, the streamlines break up into filaments that become turbulent and strike the port wall eliminating the boundary layer. This turbulent condition usually exists whenever inlet air is flowing with the valve open. The turbulent condition increases the friction factor and the air becomes sensitive to wall surface texture.

A change in pipe diameter, either increasing or decreasing, will reduce air flow. The flow reduction is defined by K, the resistance factor. The K factor adds a specific equivalent length to the system and causes a drop in pressure, which reduces flow.
Small changes in pipe diameter can be ignored as being insignificant. For example, a 5% difference in diameter would add 0.008, (10% = 0.030, 15% = 0.06), to overall length.

While pipe step changes may have little effect on air flow, the same cannot be said for fuel rivlets attached to wall surfaces.
Fuel vapor will behave differently than dry air, due to changes in density, viscosity and velocity.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

Newold1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:54 pm If air is moving over a surface there will be a boundary layer.
Yep. I was going to say this, but you did first!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

If that is true, then what is the difference between laminar flow and turbulent flow?
Both are moving but both do not exhibit similar boundary layers.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

David Redszus wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 pm
If that is true, then what is the difference between laminar flow and turbulent flow?
Both are moving but both do not exhibit similar boundary layers.

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

In my opinion sometimes it's simply a step of larger intake into smaller head helps stop fuel from running down the runner at lower demand rpm.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!