General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: What Became of the S/Trapp Discussion

Post by GARY C »

David Vizard wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:53 pm
LoganD wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:45 pm If you can't see through a muffler, don't buy it. Supertrapp is garbage, flowmaster is garbage, any chambered muffler is garbage.

Would you put literal walls blocking flow in your intake port? Would you put chambers forcing the air to change direction in your header collector? Of course you wouldn't, so why the hell would you put them anywhere in your engine's breathing path?!?
The trick with designing a good muffler is to package an effective device within the smallest volume, develop the greatest flow and the best noise suppression. The Cyclone Turbo Sonic muffler I designed met all these requirements and was not a straight through design. There is a lot more to muffler design than is generally thought.
DV
I would say that the Exhaust side is still an unknown for the most part, when you consider that the factory is producing 10 second cars with 700 to 900 horse supercharged engines that get over 20 mpg with a cast iron ex manifold, EPA regulated CAT, and a DBA sound level controlled exhaust systems, one has to ponder any old theory about exhaust.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
travis
Guru
Guru
Re: What Became of the S/Trapp Discussion

Post by travis »

LoganD wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:45 pm If you can't see through a muffler, don't buy it. Supertrapp is garbage, flowmaster is garbage, any chambered muffler is garbage.

Would you put literal walls blocking flow in your intake port? Would you put chambers forcing the air to change direction in your header collector? Of course you wouldn't, so why the hell would you put them anywhere in your engine's breathing path?!?
That depends entirely on what your building, and what your trying to accomplish.

Loud does not always equal fast! Now tell that to all the “muffler delete” cars running around that sound like absolute shit #-o

I’ve found as I get older, I tend to lean towards quieter...especially on something I drive a lot.

One of my favorite YouTube videos...on one of the forums he said there was 0 loss of performance with the quieter mufflers, but that they didn’t last long because they melted!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mhORA4sqZP4