Aluminium heads

Post by rocketracer380 »

Can I use regular gel pro gaskets with aluminum heads
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Aluminium heads

Post by rustbucket79 »

Yep, you'll likely experience a bit more brinnelling than with MLS gaskets but any aluminum head should be surfaced any time they are removed from the engine.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

rustbucket79 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:48 pm Yep, you'll likely experience a bit more brinnelling than with MLS gaskets but any aluminum head should be surfaced any time they are removed from the engine.
Not being prick, but can I ask why? I don't surface the block every time I remove the heads? I have not resurfaced my aluminum heads with at least 3 head gasket changes with no issues, I do inspect them and run a stone over the surface each time though. If I saw something to warrant surfacing I would, but there has been no need.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

On a bi metal engine the aluminium heads always take the abuse being it’s the softer material, deals with the bulk of the heat, and expands at double the rate of the block.

If your heads show no sign of brinelling and are flat absolutely they might not need a surface. Gaskets are designed to seal a less than perfect surface, but you are accepting the risk that you could have a coolant or combustion leak if you don’t resurface.

I guarantee one thing, if you set up and milled .001” off your heads, you would see just how flat they really are. :wink:
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

I assume you meant 'Fel Pro' head gaskets, and since they sell composite gaskets that work exceptionally well with aluminum heads at street-level compression ratios, the answer is 'yes'.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I can't rem if all felpro head gasket use pre-flattened fire rings, I just rem that is what is suggested for alum heads.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

set them up on the mill and run an indicator across them