Re: using dual pass radiators

Post by chevy art »

ps. kit is a 355 sbc, not a 333(typo error) art
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

The water pump MUST turn faster than crank speed. If you under drive it, the 4 hp you save is lost and then some because you can't control the heat. It's all about flow. Water flow and airflow.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

I don’t think the issue has anything to do with cooling system. Compression ratio and supercharger ...likely pump gas .

Those plugs show severe detonation issue... what psi is the blower running at?

I really suggest he gets a good tuner to take a look at engine combo.
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

All 9000+ Panteras and Mangustas ever built '71-'92 came with dual pass radiators as-stock. Many, many other contemporary cars also used stock dual-pass rads with success. There are at least 25 mitigating reasons why a given engine/rad combination runs hot and the design of the rad is only one. Blindly change the rad design and you have a whole new set of parameters for the car, and sometimes you get lucky.

On one Pantera cruising at 210F, at the insistence of the owner I changed every single part of its cooling system with no drop in temp. Then I added a Fluidyne dual pass aluminum rad (same as stock but 50% thicker, with bigger tubes) and magically, the cruising engine temp dropped 20 degrees F. My wife's '97 Z-28 commuter consistently runs 210 F totally stock and neither car boiled over (a sure sign of overheating), but the customer is always right.... if he pays his bills.
ssregal39

Post by ssregal39 »

Don't know if it'll help but i run dual pass on a dirt oval car. completely closed nose but, has an really nice air dam and side tunnels directing air into the core. Also a nice homemade fan shroud with a jones 17" 3 blade fan with 1:1 pulleys. no thermostat and 24 lb cap, runs 180.