Header for 50's GMC inline 6

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Header for 50's GMC inline 6

Post by ProPower engines »

Seems to me that there was an aluminum head made back in the day for sprint cars that used the chamber section of the GMC head cast into an aluminum head. A local guy near me used to run one on a Horning roadster. It had separate exhaust and intake ports. That thing made 435hp on alky for an old design that ain't bad.At nostalgia races it would beat up the small V-8 stuff.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Ron Golden
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Golden »

This has to be one of the ugliest cylinder heads I've ever worked with. We got the intake to flow 250 @ .600 but the exhaust only flowed 144 @ .400 and above. If the rules we run under would have allowed it, I would have thought about building a head from V8 parts.

Unless your staying with a pretty stock, pickup type engine I'd recommend you build something besides a GMC.

Ron
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Well at a 4.45" b/s, why not cut up several SBC heads and the furnace weld back together and installing them after plugging your engine's deck so that you can redrill it???

Heck, maybe an early DeSoto hemi-head may fit better??

I have all the b/s's at work, but not at home.....

pdq67
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Unless your staying with a pretty stock, pickup type engine I'd recommend you build something besides a GMC.

Mainly, two types of guys build this weird shit:

1. The guy who is so into GMC (or Ford flatheads, Hudsons, Studebakers, Packards, Buick I8s, Detroit Diesels) that he has the bore and stroke tattooed on his wife's ass. He doesn't want to build something besides.
2. The guy who wants his name in the Bonneville record books without competing heads up, so he finds an obsolete engine class with a soft/open record and builds one just to set a record. Next year, he'll be looking for another open record with a completely different engine.

I know, because these guys are my customers. :wink:

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Ron Golden
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Golden »

Jack,
I agree with what you said. At the shop we're building a 4cylinder, 192 cid Ford industrial engine for a 1950's pulling tractor. Offset grinding the crank for stroke, Honda rod bearings in Crower rods, JE pistons, etc. FUN.

I like the old engines. In fact I want to build a single cylinder stationary engine for grins.

Ron
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Hi, Ron,

I try to stay with the Studebaker and Packard V8s. However, Hercules, Wisconsin, old Buick I6, Ford Ts, John Deere 2-cyls, all have come through recently.

Hard as it is to believe, when I was last at Iskenderian, the single most profitable piece they build is full-race cams for Briggs & Stratton single cyls.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

PackardV8 wrote:Hi, Ron,

I try to stay with the Studebaker and Packard V8s. However, Hercules, Wisconsin, old Buick I6, Ford Ts, John Deere 2-cyls, all have come through recently.

Hard as it is to believe, when I was last at Iskenderian, the single most profitable piece they build is full-race cams for Briggs & Stratton single cyls.

jack vines
Good on them, gotta step up from those 3/4 race cams! #-o (sorry Jack, couldn't resist :lol: )