General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

makin chips
Pro
Pro
Re: Kobalt tools

Post by makin chips »

Schurkey wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:28 am
modok wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:31 pm Same with them all. ALL of the brands do that. Start out underrated, earn a good reputation, then sell out.

Question is.....which tool company is NOW trying to EARN a reputation?
i don't know! I really don't. I wish there was FORUm for that!
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/for ... ay.php?f=4

I spent some time there, got temporarily banned, and mostly quit them. I visit occasionally, but haven't logged-in in months. If you can steer around the crying about the prices of real tools, or apologizing for Harbor Freight, there's some very useful info--particularly the Truck Tool Equivants threads. Those threads compare Mac, Matco, Snap-On, Cornwell tools to the lesser-known brands that the Big Guys are sourcing from--OTC, MasterCool, Lang, Trusty-Cook, Lisle, Mayhew, and the other hundred companies that MAKE some of the tools sold by the Truck Dudes, usually at a fraction of the Tool Truck price. SAME quality, different color handle, or different packaging with the true manufacturer's name on the box instead of the Tool Truck name.

'Course, you find some Chinese knock-offs mixed in with the actual , real-live equivalents sometimes, too. Gotta be careful!

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... p?t=136120

Another good Tool web-site is http://alloy-artifacts.org/mfg-index.html which goes into detail about the individual histories of almost 200 tool companies (most of which went out of business, or merged and got dropped.)

I have 2 impacts from Harbor Freight that have been flawless. Both 1/2 inch drive. One air, one battery. The air powered was compared against the lime green Snap-on and outdid it every time. It was more consistent with torque readings as well as it consistently put out higher dynamic/breakaway torque readings and higher working torque than the snap on for 1/4 the price. The guy was testing them on some sort of torque testing machine specifically made for those type of tests. The HF gun had more speeds than the Snap-on, also. Another plus.

I believe this is it.

https://youtu.be/2MDjgY8Vwgo
Last edited by makin chips on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

The funniest part is watching the backyard hacks on YouTube try the same sort of tests using studs and nuts. They'll torque a rusted nut down to a stated torque value with a torque wrench and no lube...and attempt to remove it with the impacts they're testing. If it won't remove the nut at a specified torque, it doesn't meet the "rating". He tried the harbor freight and was talking all sorts of shit about it. Except his tests were bs and useless as far as telling anything about the guns. He was using unlubed fasteners with God knows how much friction causing them to bind up. It was totally ridiculous.

I tried to explain to him how the ratings are derived but he didn't want to listen.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I have a problem breaking the gears in most any ratchets. Old Kobalts were tough for me. For a beginner youngster mechanic Stanley is pretty good for entry level. I break most ratchets removing tight trans bolts. Me and gear wrench don;t get along on trans bolts.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Why you using a rachet? Use a breaker bar.
Weld a tube to a short extension, costs nothing, works better.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

makin chips wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:54 am I have 2 impacts from Harbor Freight that have been flawless. Both 1/2 inch drive. One air, one battery. The air powered was compared against the lime green Snap-on and outdid it every time. It was more consistent with torque readings as well as it consistently put out higher dynamic/breakaway torque readings and higher working torque than the snap on for 1/4 the price. The guy was testing them on some sort of torque testing machine specifically made for those type of tests. The HF gun had more speeds than the Snap-on, also. Another plus.

I believe this is it.

https://youtu.be/2MDjgY8Vwgo
I'm fairly sure I've viewed that test. Lots and lots of yap, yap, yap. Half-an-hour or more to convey ten minutes of info. The Hazzard Fraught impact performed nicely against the Snap-On MG725 (Now discontinued. Too bad, it was a FABULOUS impact.)

When new.

Come back in three years of professional use and see how it's doing.

For the record, my ancient Snap-On IM510 (Which was old when I bought it "used") was probably fifteen+ years old, and it would kick ass on the new "Company Supplied" IRs and CPs they insisted on buying. When my crew tightened the jam nuts on air conditioning pipes with my impact, the pipes were tight and usable. When they used the Company impact wrenches, the pipes would wind-up and be ruined when the hose was tightened onto it. It was really an application for a 3/4" impact...but there wasn't tool clearance for the larger body of the bigger impact wrench.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

PETERSON VISE GRIP RETURN!
HECK yeah

https://www.malcoproducts.com/news/malc ... -nebraska/
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

I've never cared much for craftsman tools. Although I'd never argue the older ones weren't stout, I just never liked the feel of them. I did pick up a friends Craftsman ratchet the other day and it felt crustier than a HF unit. :?

Their screwdrivers are okay. My wife got me a set as a present. One handle split on its own doing nothing and another broke after some moderate use. Eh.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Off topic for Kobalt but a scary test to watch if you work with powerful voltage/current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXQNLq19FQ
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

snap on hand tools are made in usa.there blu point line is not.im sure every snap on wrench says made in usa.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

china needs us more than we need them.more manufactoring is moving back to the us all the time.sure the trade deficeit is way off but i think its getting better.not a trump fan but he is making the chinese sit up and listen.
RWILLIAMS

Post by RWILLIAMS »

Speaking of craftsman tools I needed a T45 torx but went to ace less than mile from my house wanted 8$ for one nope drove another 3 miles to home depot 1.98. My point being if Lowe's charges prices like that for craftsman tools their backing up. I buy a ton of stuff at Harbor Freight some good some bad. If I am a professional my goal is too make money why pay 100$ for a snap on when a 10$ Harbor freight tool does same job way I look at it I am 90$ to the good.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

not saying craftsman are junk but the hand tools are bulky dont fit as well and there sockets stretch out and dont have nearly the selection. but they really dont cater to professional mechanics.not gonna get i a debate over it.whatever works for you.i have plenty of my old craftsman tools from the 1960s craftsman are fine.im a major tool and equipment junky and have way more than i need.as far as my machine shop i like to be able to do most anything.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

A torx bit has a limited life span. you want one with a lifetime warranty of course it will be expensive. makes no sense at all. Lifetime warranty tires and brake pads? #-o
the only way they will be able to weasel out of such a deal is keep lowering the quality of the replacements until you give up, and they do just that.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

makin chips wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:07 pm
swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:58 pm I believe Armstrong may be one of the best quality tools available. Does anybody know for sure where they are made ? I know that they are the hardest tools that i have tried to drill a hole in for hanging on a wall. Mark H.
They were made in South Carolina by Apex Tools until March 31, 2017 when they closed the plant and layed everyone off. They made tools for Craftsman Pro and currently Apex Tools, who owns Armstrong, makes Gear Wrench.

Armstrong tools were industrial tools for aerospace, military, and government use mainly. Most of this info is available at Wikipedia. They were owned by Danaher until Apex bought them and then closed them down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Tools
I wasn't aware of the info Makin chips posted, but I can add a little. Armstrong is the same, or at least was the same a Matco tools. Armstrong was the industrial line, Matco the mechanic line. I love Matco wrenches and screwdrivers. I don't care for their sockets. Our local Matco man (actually a revolving door of Matco men) has always been hit and miss. I replaced a couple wrenches I'd lost with Armstrong wrenches I ordered from McMaster Carr. They were identical except for the name. (even had the same number on them). Some of their hand tools (Danaher tools, Matco, Armstrong, Craftsman Pro) were made in Bessemer City NC. (15 miles from here) I had a friend who worked at that plant, but she retired in 2015. I don't know if that plant is still open, or if they still make stuff for Danaher.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

i dont mind paying for snap on and my dealer alwasys gives me a break.its tax deductable and he comes to me.whatever works for you.